3.0 BETA 4 release. How to activate MMS?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2Unique4U, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 2Unique4U macrumors newbie

I am a developer and I recently upgraded to 3.0 BETA 4 firmware. Everything seems cool except you can't use MMS or tether. Does anyone know how to fix this in order for it to work? If so please give details for all of us.

THANKS!!!!! :D

2. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

my tethering still works but i havent been able to send mms messages at all since the beta was released! just look around and find the .ipcc file for the carrier update! i think its around 32 kb

3. 2Unique4U thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can u find this carrier update file? Will it activate MMS and Tether?!

4. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

really i just searched the forums and one of them had a link to the download!

5. jdawgydawg12 macrumors newbie

direct download link to AT&T ipcc carrier file

Could someone please post the direct link to the ipcc carrier file for AT&T, I didn't see it anywhere :(

6. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

7. Benjic macrumors regular

So, you obviously know how to search, but can you confirm these links to enable MMS on Beta 4? If not, your attempt is greatly un-needed.

8. kits macrumors member

How do you navigate to
    Step 3: Navigate to ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support.

I have Windows Vista and can't seen to find those folders.

9. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

if your really a dev you would be using a mac. the sdk only works on leopard :rolleyes:

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Fail.

11. eff pc macrumors regular

i did the steps it said but it didn't work so i went to get the original ipcc file and in library/itunes iphone carries files or whatev the exact name was no longer there...what gives?? it was there 5 min. ago...when i did the editing i made a copy of it on my desktop so it should have been left unchanged.

[EDIT] Ok i'm dumb i was looking in the library folder for my HD not under my home drive.

12. efice32 macrumors 6502

It's beta. Those features are not supported yet.

...someone had to say it

13. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Seeing how greatly unappreciative you are of people's efforts, perhaps you can be more contributory in your own research rather than wait for others' to nanny molly colly you in everything.

14. chrisjonny macrumors member

chrisjonny

I had mine working..

15. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hardcoredan52 did provide accurate information for instructions on tethering and MMS. (Thank you!) I just tried the tethering trick (after an hour's worth of work!) and I can tether my MacBook Air through USB. For some reason, Bluetooth doesn't work. Whenever I try to establish a connection with Bluetooth, my MacBook Air says,
    "Failed to open a connection to the network service. Your device may have reached its maximum number of supported network connections."
    I can't figure out why either. I should be thankful that at least Bluetooth works.

I have not tried MMS yet, for I am a scardy cat that I will be "charged" more for MMS messaging when sending and receiving them. (I already hand in enough money to AT&T!) I already have the unlimited texting plan for my iPhone (not the unlimited family plan texting). The reason why I held back on this one because of the ***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*** warning. Is it safe to continue with this little trick to get MMS? :eek:

16. JPyre macrumors 6502

Heres the quick short version of how to for those that are search field impaired. I am using a iPhone 3G OS 3.0 Beta 4 jailbroken on at&t, although the jailbroken part is not necessary for this example.

1) Open itunes, option+click upgrade, choose the modified att.ipcc file

2) Put your sim in a blackberry or something, call 611 and tell them you changed phones and can't receive mms, have them change to blackberry data plan or whichever. You must be on a family plan unlimited messaging too.

3) Put your sim back in the iphone after the blackberry can send and recieve mms ok, it took mine like 30m. Done.

And your plan should end up looking like this:
    [​IMG]