[3.0 Beta] ACK!! First real "problem" bug for me. RESOLVED in Beta 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Requiemm, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Requiemm macrumors regular

3.0 has been fairly stable for me so far. Slight lag when launching the messaging app, slight lag when launching iPod app, couple of crashes from other apps, and the fact that smart playlists are empty when sync'd.

This morning I discovered what may be the deal breaker for me. My Alpine ida-X100 can't see my iPhone anymore!

When I connect the cable, the head unit displays the searching message, pauses then reverts to the "No USB Device" message it has when nothing is connected. The iPhone itself seems to cycle from connected to not connected and back again.

I bought this head unit specifically to use with my iPhone so I'm praying this will be resolved in the final version of 3.0

Aargh!

2. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

it's great that you shared this problem.
    This will serve as a heads up for me.
    Now, I just have to control myself and wait
    for the final version to come out.

3. Requiemm thread starter macrumors regular

Glad I could "Help"

I'm stuck using the line in function for a while.

4. kman79 macrumors regular

Still works with my Alpine CDA-9887 through the full speed iPod connector, no charging feature of course.

You could try restarting the phone and then plugging it back in, just a suggestion.

5. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I have the same unit but haven't tested it yet. Btw that unit sounds amazing.

6. kman79 macrumors regular

Yes it does, I love the display and everything about it. Browsing through songs could be slightly more intuitive though, but it does get it done.

Would you by chance know if the new Alpine Cable here:http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KCE-433iV works with the CDA-9887 to charge the phone? I just noticed it this morning.

7. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Just saw your other thread but I haven't had a chance to check it out. A better place to look may be on a car audio forum. I used to be on http://diymobileaudio.com/forum/ but haven't in a while. Also maybe Alpine would know themselves.

8. kman79 macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. Yea, I just went to Alpine's contact us link, but there is no email option to contact them, I'll give them a call Monday, just got home from work and need to head of to bed. Will check in if I find anything.

9. PootsworthIII macrumors newbie

Wish I had've read this 12 hours ago:(

I have the IDA-X100 and the same problem. First time got 'Error 01", rebooted phone tried again. Now it says "Searching" then nothing, goes back to "No USB Device". I'll be snagging my wife's nano for a while I guess.

I also had the CDA-9887 and the sound was great, but I wanted the interface of the X100. Sometimes i regret the move b/c of the drop in sound quality.

10. pintnight macrumors 6502

12 hours ago this post didn't exist.

11. Requiemm thread starter macrumors regular

True enough.

BTW, i called Alpine support and they guy was pretty nice. He said that usually when the radio just says "No USB Device" it is an issue with the cable, so he's sending me another. Since mine was acting up occasionally before this I'll try it, but I don't have high hopes.

Should have the replacement cable in a week and will keep you updated.

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I think it's a general peripheral problem with the OS. I have the in-car USB/iPod kit for my BMW X5 and it will sometimes work now with 3.0, and sometimes not. So it'll work, I'll get out of the car, do something, get back in and start the car and it just locks up showing the song title and 00:00 for the play time, and it never plays. Sometimes it will take a handful of tries to get it to work again. Once it worked by unplugging USB from the car (using online line-in), playing that way, then plugging the USB cable back in while it was playing, then it worked again. It only worked that way one time though.

But I remember having similar issues with other betas in 2.x too. They'll eventually get it fixed.

13. Requiemm thread starter macrumors regular

Wooo Hooo!! It's back! The Alpine ida x100 works perfectly fine with Beta 2

14. PootsworthIII macrumors newbie

Yep, works fine. Also the Bluetooth Audio works now, too, which I don't think did in the first beta. You have to have the bluetooth adapter from Alpine. It works well, but no playback controls via the deck.

I still have an issue where if I take a call or turn the car the off then back on, the stereo resumes play, but no sound comes out. The progress moves and everything, but I can't hear anything. Sometimes unplugging and replugging the phone solves it, sometimes I have to reboot the phone.

Have you ever seen this problem? Is this what you were talking about when you said yours was "acting up occasionally before"?

15. Requiemm thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much it exactly. I'd get in my car, connect phone and start a plalist. No sound. Unplug phone replug phone and be fine.

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Off topic
    You mentioned slight lag in the Messages app. Does it ever like completely lock up to the point where you can't even type? That happened last night a few times to me.

17. PootsworthIII macrumors newbie

Sweet, maybe I'll call Alpine and get them to ship me new cable, though I fear it's an iPhone thing.

I found this while searching around.

Also, I've been using my wife's nano while my iPhone wasn't working, and never had the problem.

Let me know if the new cable seems to resolve anything.

18. kman79 macrumors regular

3.0 Beta 2 is still working on my CDA-9887, although inconsistently, it's still leaps better than Beta 1. I think the issues is more with the iPod app than the whole phone in general. Sometimes when skipping through songs, the music will start to stutter, or all audio just all fo a sudden goes out, but like you, the counter still moves forward.

I'm quite happy that the bugs are getting ironed out.

19. PootsworthIII macrumors newbie

Right, I saw general bugginess with the iPod app even playing through headphones on beta1. Things can only get better until this summer. I'm just glad they didn't end support for the stereos completely.

Also, does the 9887 still not charge the iPhone 3G?

20. kman79 macrumors regular

Still no charging unfortunately. I really want to try out the new Full Speed Cable (KCE-433iV,) but haven't gotten around to order it, I'm hoping it'll solve the charging issue

21. PootsworthIII macrumors newbie

Seems that one only works with the CDE-102, though. The reason I ask is, I'm selling my car and trying to decide on leaving my X100 in it and going back to the 9887. I miss the sound quality but I love the X100's interface. Also, do you know if the KCE cables use the stereo's D/A or just pull the audio from the iPhone through the 30 pin?

22. kman79 macrumors regular

Was wondering that myself, and never did find a solid answer. Would like to think it uses the Burr Browns when in use with the iPod, but I don't have a definite answer. I pretty much left the issue be and just enjoyed the sound regardless.

I'm sure the X100 is much more intuitive with the iPod controls, but I do love the sound of the 9887.