3.0 CalDav account with Google anyone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tritian, Mar 19, 2009.

1. tritian macrumors member

Anyone able to setup a CalDav account and connect to Google Calendar?

If so, what server info did you use? Does the user need the @gmail.com or not?

I tried a few different settings, nothing worked.

I ended up just subscribing to all my Google calendars.

2. Colin Guinn macrumors newbie

I'm working on the same thing, nothing has worked for me either. Please let me know if you find a solution.

I've been using nuevasync for a while and it works pretty well. Do you know if there will be a way to sync contacts real time with Google Apps?

3. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Why is this important since Google now provides Exchange support for Google Calendar? I'm not sure what it gains you?

4. Bambeezer macrumors regular

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Because the iPhone only supports one Exchange account at a time and some of us are already using Exchange for our work email.

6. tritian thread starter macrumors member

Since I can only have one Exchange account on the phone at a time. I use that to connect to work.

7. tritian thread starter macrumors member

This is to sync Google calendar to iCal THEN to the phone. With 3.0 you can bypass the iCal setup and over the air sync to Google calendar. The setup tool hides the actual server it connects to.

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I don't think what you are looking for is active yet.

If you look at "Contacts" in "Info" when your iPhone is connected, it specifically asks if you want to sync with Google Contacts.

I expect the same to hold true when it is functional for the Calender

Even Notes sync now shows even tho my only choice is Outlook.

I am in the same boat as you are. My exchange is set up with my college account and so will not remove that to use the other option mentioned above.

I think it will eventually look the same as Contacts when it is fully implemented.

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

I also think this isn't active yet. I used the "Calaboration" app to sync my Google Calendar to iCal, and when I sync my iPhone I can sync that calendar... but it won't update over the air on its own. I have to always sync.

I tried creating a CalDAV account in settings and it always fails to verify when I try to save the account. I used the server info that the Calaboration tool plugs into iCal, but no go

10. ktula macrumors newbie

I think you guys are correct that the over-the-air sync of CalDAV is not active yet. I managed to get the verification to go through when i set up the account. This is what i did:

- Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account... --> Other --> Add CalDAV Account

- Server: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[your full google email address]/events
    - User Name: [your full google email address]
    - Password: [your gmail password]

- Select "Save"

- It is going to give you an error message "Cannot Connect Using SSL - Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?", select "Continue"

- Go to "Advanced Settings"

- Change "Use SSL" to yes

- Change Port to 443

- Change "Account URL" to: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[your full google email address]/events

I managed to get the account verification to go through but could not get any of my google calendar events to show up.

Anyway, i also tested subscribing to my google calendar. That feature appears to be partially working. I was able to subscribed to my google calendar but the date/time for the events are off. An one-hour event on Saturday between 1300 - 1400 becomes an eight-hour event between 2000 - 0400.

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I use iCal right now w/ Caldav to google calendar. It works great. As soon as I create a calendar in iCal, it's right there in google calendar. And vice versa. Already syncs to my iPhone great. And if I create something on my iPhone, it syncs back to iCal, which then gets pushed up to gCal. So I'm guessing that caldav support on the iphone will mean that instead of having to wait until i sync back with my computer, that new calendar will get pushed up immediately?

12. ktula macrumors newbie

I am using the Google CalDAV app for iCal as well. But i think to get iCal to sync up with Google calendar, iCal must remaining running. I am using MobileMe so if i update Calendar on iPhone, it updates MobileMe. But if iCal is not running on my Mac, google Calendar will not get the update. In theory if CalDAV is working correctly on iPhone, it should update Google calendar when changes are made on the iPhone. But will this update be sent to MobileMe?

13. justingb macrumors newbie

14. ktula macrumors newbie

Thanks, changing "events" to "user" for the Account URL did the trick!

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Using Justingb's Instructions/Links also worked for me. I have now connected to my Google Calender directly on a PC. Little slow in the beginning and with the keyboard bugs had to start over a few times but now its built and works

Thanks and I will update my thread to reflect that it works.

16. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Nice, glad this works. How often does it sync with the google calendar (I'm assuming it's the default 15 min, 30 min, etc that mail uses)? Does it show all your calendars or just the default calendar? If it does show all calendars I'm assuming that each calendar shows it's appointments in different colors?

17. tritian thread starter macrumors member

It looks like it only syncs with your main calendar. As for the refresh timer I am unsure. I deleted a bunch of appointments on my calendar, but it did not pick them up after 20 minutes. I added an appointment to the iPhone, wiated another 20 and still nothing. the phone seems to just have what it had when I created the account.

18. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

This has been working great for me untill this morning on my new 3gs, I cant get the calendar to sync.

19. krypticos macrumors regular

i've been using sync on my 3g for about 1-2 weeks now i dont remember with i set it up. anyways when you add an appointment on your iphone it should push to the gcalendar, and if you have ical setup on your mac then you have to refresh it(command+r) before it will show up. now it also work the other way when you add an event to ical it pushes to gcal, then to your iphone. now for contacts i could not tell you. i know when you add a new contact to iphone it pushes to gcontacts but as far as address book syncing i have not gotten it to work yet. hope this helps.

20. krypticos macrumors regular

21. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Nope m.google.com doesnt work either, I dont understand why this stopped working, Monday it was working great.

22. Skettalee macrumors newbie

Ok here is what I did.. I used to use Neuvasync with Microsoft Exchange which worked great.. I got 4 calendars for work, yearly events, personal & bills and with neuvasync.. it worked perfect except I couldn't get my work email on my phone using exchange because of the crap of just 1 exchange server....

So I went all over google this is the last place im at, i tried tons of times to get the CalDAV to work trying every setting i found and nothing happened. I tried m.google.com, i tried the events, users, whatever and everything. Nothing is working. plus when and if i ever do get it to work... will it sync all of the calendars i use in google calendar? I dont use ical at all, i have a powerbook but thats just for whatever use, like mobile music production, i only use google calendar for everything... but none of these options are working AT ALL for me.. I know i put in my right info cause its the same stuff i used through Neauvasync......

the only thing that is almost a plus.. is when i tried m.google.com as the server, atleast when i go to calendar it shows the working icon going over and over and then finally after a while stops but none of my calendar events are in there. So got sick of trying and then when and reenabled the neuvasync... pretty much just slide the on for calendars back to on instead of off (and when i slide off it asked to delete all the current events off my iphone so i did) but now when i try to redo the neuvasync, that dont even show that its working to try to sync or anything, so its like everything is totally broken now..

I know i still got all my events cause they are still in google.. whats the story and why is so many of us having so many problems? Now I got pretty much no calendar events, why doesn't apple just add the google calendar thing to itunes like they have with contacts and email? what the hell? GAY... anyone figured out the problem at all? please please post it up, thanks alot!

23. Skettalee macrumors newbie

Thank you, I read through it and realized that screw CalDAV then since it doesn't take all the calendars and puts it in my iphone at once.. i gotta do tons of calendars? neuvasync adds up to 11 of them and i have 4 of my own plus also add and remove as needed client calendars so it shows it all, that would be a ton of work. what the hell is wrong with them fools? Lol, well hopefully they fix that problem soon! But thank you for the link man!