Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Hello,

So I still haven't updated. I thought I would wait to see what everyone thought about firmware 3.0 first. What I want to know is (setting all the new features aside), how is the responsiveness of the new firmware? I remember during WWDC, they indicated it would be faster than 2.2.1 due to optimization. Is it? How is the battery life, any better? What about the carrier signal. Do you get more bars now? Just thought I would put it out there to see what people's thoughts were on the new firmware. I have a iphone 3G.

:)

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Everything seems faster. Messages app opens in about half the time it used to take. Going to the spring board is smooth, not jerky like it used to be sometimes. I think the whole OS is much more responsive.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California
sounds awesome... and its freaking killing me. I had to sell my iPhone 3G on eBay to be able to buy the 3G S and I am waiting till tomorrow to use 3.0. I think 3.0 on the 3G S will be 2.5 times as fast and responsive as a 3G running 2.2.1.

mckandy

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm finding a lot more lag than I did before. Takes longer to open Settings. When I type in my passcode I type in all 4 numbers and nothing happens, then all of a sudden they quickly catch up and get entered. I think the UI is slower overall in 3.0. But, on the plus side, my battery life has improved a lot since the upgrade.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I haven't really seen any difference regarding the network but the overall OS speed seems faster to me and for the first time ever, the keyboard doesn't lag for me.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
In my experience, and i was also beta testing it, 3.0 is more laggy and has worse battery life. It was especially apparent when I downgraded to 2.2.1 the other day to test some things out.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I've noticed that apps load a bit faster and the spring board animations are smoother. A minor tweak I've noticed is that I can hit the home button and apps exit much faster than before, even when they are first loading.

Overall I'm happy with the OS 3.0 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.