3.0 Firmware Speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by branjosef, Jun 18, 2009.

1. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Hello,

So I still haven't updated. I thought I would wait to see what everyone thought about firmware 3.0 first. What I want to know is (setting all the new features aside), how is the responsiveness of the new firmware? I remember during WWDC, they indicated it would be faster than 2.2.1 due to optimization. Is it? How is the battery life, any better? What about the carrier signal. Do you get more bars now? Just thought I would put it out there to see what people's thoughts were on the new firmware. I have a iphone 3G.

:)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive been impressed with it. id upgrade without question

3. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Everything seems faster. Messages app opens in about half the time it used to take. Going to the spring board is smooth, not jerky like it used to be sometimes. I think the whole OS is much more responsive.

4. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

sounds awesome... and its freaking killing me. I had to sell my iPhone 3G on eBay to be able to buy the 3G S and I am waiting till tomorrow to use 3.0. I think 3.0 on the 3G S will be 2.5 times as fast and responsive as a 3G running 2.2.1.

5. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

6. mckandy macrumors member

I'm finding a lot more lag than I did before. Takes longer to open Settings. When I type in my passcode I type in all 4 numbers and nothing happens, then all of a sudden they quickly catch up and get entered. I think the UI is slower overall in 3.0. But, on the plus side, my battery life has improved a lot since the upgrade.

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I haven't really seen any difference regarding the network but the overall OS speed seems faster to me and for the first time ever, the keyboard doesn't lag for me.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

In my experience, and i was also beta testing it, 3.0 is more laggy and has worse battery life. It was especially apparent when I downgraded to 2.2.1 the other day to test some things out.

9. kvasir macrumors regular

I've noticed that apps load a bit faster and the spring board animations are smoother. A minor tweak I've noticed is that I can hit the home button and apps exit much faster than before, even when they are first loading.

Overall I'm happy with the OS 3.0 update.