3.0 firmware universal across Touch/Iphone models?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tronic, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Upgaded my 3g to 3.0 last night and today I want to upgrade my 1st gen touch to 3.0 for free. Can I just plug it in and right-click restore to the 3.0 firmware I downloaded for my 3g? Or do i need a special Touch firmware?

Thanks

2. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

You need to download the software for the first generation iPod Touch. They have different hardware and functions.

3. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Agree!

You can Google the firmware and point iTunes to the downloaded copy. Hit Option+Restore and sync your Touch. Then hit Restore again so iTunes will fetch a clean copy from Apple for your Mac & Touch. Now you have a clean OS 3.0 for FREE. You could have done the same for your 2nd Gen. I did. :D

5. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

You pay once, iTunes will download the right one for your other device even if you already used it for the 2nd gen.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I did the same thing with my 2G Touch. Im guessing Apple didnt really think about that when they released the GM builds for the touch's and phones. Oh well better for us!

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

are updates free? like 3.0.1 or 3.1 supposedly coming out in end of july. btw, i did makea thread about this but i got no replies and its been over an hour.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I disapprove of this. Just because you didn't get caught does not make it a right thing to do. Please buy it like everyone else.

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Is it right for apple to charge you money for firmware that should be free because it is upgrades that you get because you paid for the product? and more over, iphone users don't pay for it. shouldn't ipod touch firmware also be free because it is a stripped version of the iphone software which is free? it isn't like we're buying another ipod touch.

10. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Once you have 3.0 other minor updates are free.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

k. so updates are free even if u did install from a FW u got off a google search?

12. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Does that mean you think Tiger/Panther/Leopard/etc (or XP/Vista/7/etc) should all be free too?

The OS upgrade isn't really free for iPhone users -- they pay every month.

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

thats different, on computers your hardware generally works 100 percent out of the box. apple didn't let consumers be able to use the bluetooth in the 2G touch when they got it. they forced us to pay 10 bucks for what should have been usable when the product was bought. MY policy is, when i buy something i want all of my product. this is like buying a package of carrots at the store. the store only gives you 7 of ten carrots then several months later asks you to pay up 10 bucks to you 3 carrots that you already paid for.

don't i pay for internet access for wifi? if use an iphone the money goes to at&t, if u use a touch, the money goes to an internet service provider. either way the money isn't going back to apple.

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you dont get the point they pay 60 a month that goes to apple/att you pay for wifi to what ever cable company you get

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

whatever... they still shouldn't make us pay. after all we see steve jobs as god or something seeing as apple has become a religion.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you don't like the price of something, you have the option of not buying it. Taking it is not justified simply because you think it should be free.

17. blackdove macrumors newbie

Apple does not get part of the monthly fee, they get paid for the device up front and never get a cent more unless you pay them for it explicitly, for example by buying OS updates, applications, music, etc. just like any other cell phone.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have never paid monthly (2G), as I have never had service, and Apple does not take any money out of 3G and 3GS plans.