3.0 GM on iPhone 2G Impressions/problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tasslehawf, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I got the version for iphone 2G (iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw). It installed fine with no issues. But I've noticed a lot that doesn't work. Visual Voicemail is broken (for now). Also I cannot find the MobileMe settings for 'find my iphone'; it may be disabled since I don't have GPS. Also A2DP (bluetooth stereo) doesn't seems to be working yet. I don't know how you would go about selecting bluetooth stereo headphones in ipod mode??? It has always seen my motorolla S9 headphones, but doesn't function any differently with them now with 3.0.

I'm worried that the 2G is going to be cut off from more of the features as time goes on.

2. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

When I installed 3.0 yesterday, Visual Voicemail wasn't working.

I just tried it five minutes ago and it's working now. I guess AT&T's servers are now accepting 3.0. The App and iTunes Stores are working now, too.

Obviously, tethering and MMS aren't supported on AT&T yet, but otherwise, everything is "just working."

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Find My iPhone is in...

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Select your MobileMe account under the 'Accounts' heading at the top, and the setting is in there.

4. zunairryk macrumors regular

1) Visual voice only works if you have data plan and visual voice mail plan from Att ( no t-mobile, as far as i know)
    2) A2DP is not supported on iphone 2g, only iphone 3g and 3gs
    3) MMS is nt supported either on iphone 2g, althought it CAN work by jailbreaking and installing swirlymms.
    4)Find my phone uses gps ( i think), so yea you are right thats why its not working.

5. Xtremespirit319 macrumors regular

Mind my iPhone on 2G def works I tried it out this evening doesn't require GPS

6. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Find my iphone works. Just like maps uses your approximate location on either edge or wifi.

Visual voicemail worked ealier today on my At&t iPhone/Data plan. I'll wait a day and see if it comes back.

I'm really disappointed about A2DP. If you have a 3G/3GS, how do you enable a bluetooth headset in ipod mode? I'm pretty sure the bluetooth chip in the 2G supports A2DP...

7. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

Visual voicemail came back up last night.

Still curious if anyone has gotten A2DP to work on a 3G.

8. djuarez03 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2.1 in case there's a problem? I have 3.0 and it's working great. But my brother is paranoid about installing it until the official version comes out next week. Also, is there a different firmware for the 1st gen iPhone and the 3G? Another friend says he wasn't able to get 3.0 on his 1st gen iPhone.

9. mconnor379 macrumors newbie

Yeah, there are different OS versions for iTouch, iPhone 2.5g, iPhone 3g and iPhone 3gs. Doubt you'll have much luck downgrading without Jailbreaking techniques, but you're brother has nothing to worry about - this version is as clean as it gets (installed last night on my 3g without the slightest hiccup!).

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Everything worked just fine including Find My iPhone... the only hiccup was something was wrong with battery status indication!

I actually downgraded back to 2.2.1 because of that battery problem.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The Apple developer notes say that you can't downgrade.

I installed the 3.0 OS (legitimately - I'm registered as a developer) a short time ago on my 2G iPhone. I guessed that if something went wrong, Apple would fix it if it was a legitimate install, otherwise if I were you, I would just hold off till it's released officially. .

12. bobby904 macrumors newbie

Mine installed fine also but the camera icon is missing next to text input field!? anyone else have this problem?

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You CAN Downgrade, its just a rather tedious process!

You'll need to restore the iPhone to 2.2.1 in DFU Mode as it wont restore otherwise. After this you'll get an error 1013 but just ignore it. Hard reset the iPhone and just simply connect it to Quickpwn on Mac or Win. All QuickPwn has to do is recognize your iPhone connected to your computer and thats really it!

But I DEFINITELY agree with the your latter opinion!

14. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    Visual Voice Mail

Just so everyone knows, visual voicemail isn't broken when installing the GM (or Betas for that matter). All you have to do is call your own phone number (takes you into voicemail) and just pick a few of the options (stay on the line for a minute). After you hang up, select the voicemail tab and the prompt for entering you voicemail password should pop up in 1-2 minutes. No need to call AT&T.

15. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Stereo Bluetooth works on my 3G running 3.0 GM. I could've sworn it was announced that it will not work in the 2G models but I could be mistaken.

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

By 2G they meant the First Gen, viz, EDGE iPhone! The 3G was always advertised to possess Stereo A2DP Upgradability.. It does get confusing!

17. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

So how do you use it on the 3G?

18. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Just sync the headset like any other Bluetooth headset. When you play music, YouTube, etc... It plays from the stereo headset automatically. You will have an icon on the bottom right that let's you switch sources.

19. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

They suck hard for not supporting this on the 2G. I have wanted this since day one. I bought one of those stupid dock connector dongles that functions on and off.

20. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

It's not that great. It has some lag when used with YouTube. And definitely skips when using the iPod with other Apps. Also, only the volume controls work on the headphones, not the other functions like skipping between songs. It's a step in the right direction but needs some work.

21. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if they'll be able to fix that - or if it requires a faster processor (3GS).

22. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Here's my impression: IT SUCKS!!!

Why can't they give us the option to turn off landscape mode on these new apps??? I am always using my iphone while laying in bed or on the couch and this constant switching is ANNOYING!

EDIT: However, what I do love that I just noticed. When you get calls from numbers not in your address list, it shows where it originated from in the 'Recent' list! For example, this (719) 546-XXXX has Pueblo, CO under it. And call from contacts show if it's their 'home', 'mobile', etc. Cool!

23. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

GM has fixed the "Ok I wanna turn Wifi on, lets see, settings, Wi-Fi...............................................................................

*go get a beer*

.............................. "ok which network d'ya want?"

Urgh it drove me MAD!

24. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Everything seems to be working great for me, except the YouTube app. I keep getting "Cannot connect to YouTube". :(

25. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's not going to appear. If you have a 2G iPhone it'll never appear. If you have a 3G iPhone you have to wait for AT&T to roll out MMS later this summer (or install the hacked IPCC file to force the phone to enable it. In that case it still might not work if MMS is blocked on your AT&T account).