3.0 Google Sync / "Exchange"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBJammin103, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I'm using my Google Calendar to push 5 calendars to my iPhone (3.0) with the ActiveSync / Exchange system, but I'm not convinced of the actual "push" going on here.

If I'm staring at the Calendar app on the iPhone, I see the changes take place almost immediately. If I create an event with an alarm reminder, it goes off on my phone. But if I DON'T have the Calendar app open and I make a change, I'm not sure that it gets pushed to my phone... when I make a test event 10 minutes away with an alarm reminder and never open the app, my phone never notifies me of the event.

Has anyone else had this same experience? Any suggestions? What's the point of push calendar changes if it only works while you're looking at the Calendar app? :confused:

2. speed12 macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm doing the same as you and just tried adding an event to Google calendar with a reminder and it pushed to my phone fine.

Just to check, do you actually have Push turned on under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Fetch New Data? Also check the Google Sync exchange account is set to Push in fetch new data > advanced. If Push isnt active, it will still update the Calendar but only when you open it.

Hope that helps!

3. sam011989 macrumors regular

google calendars do not support push, they only support fetch. therefore, whatever setting you have your "fetch" set to (every 5 minutes, every 30 minutes, every hour, whatever) is when you phone should check for updates with calendar app closed.

i'm testhing this theory tonight. i just created an event for later today (about 11 hours from now when I wake up) on google's calendar website. my phone is set to fetch new data once an hour. so, sometime within the next hour my phone SHOULD automatically sync with google calendar without me opening calendar app. i'll know by tomorrow morning when i wake up if it synced or not

4. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

5. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

Google Calendars

As far as I am aware google calendars do support push using Google sync just like a normal Exchange account.

6. speed12 macrumors regular

Yup, Google Calendars definitely have Push now. If I add something to my Google Calendar, then with push off it will update the iphone calendar once you open it and wait for the little spinning loading icon in the status bar to finish up. With push on, the new addition will be there before the loading icon even appears.

Ditto with contacts.

With your iCal syncing with Google Calendar using CalDav and Address Book syncing with Google Contacts you have three way push, a la MobileMe...and for free! Now...if only they will get email to push....

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Google Sync is actually Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. So look at its settings.

(Google paid for a license that allowed them to rename it.)

8. CBJammin103 thread starter macrumors regular

CBJammin103

Well... my updates definitely push if I'm looking at the open Calendar app. But it seems that they don't push when the app isn't open. I guess this is useful, but it's missing some major functionality as far as I can tell. Maybe it's just me, but like I said, when I update my Google Calendar, the iPhone Calendar app doesn't set off alarms that were created while the Calendar app was closed.

Or maybe it's possible that the Calendar app has to be open for it to "translate" a google alarm into an iPhone alert? Hmm.

9. sam011989 macrumors regular

Oh, this microsoft exchange part is new to me. but for some reason it's not accepting my password

10. sam011989 macrumors regular

now the downside is that i used up my one microsoft exchange server i'm allowed. hopefully i dont need another or i'll have to resort to syncing each calendar through CalDAV individually

11. mappyman macrumors regular

I just did a test using the CalDAV method (not googlesync or mobileme). It works, without opening the calendar and alerts you multiple times.

12. sam011989 macrumors regular

your timing got lucky then. your calendar will only update itself during the "fetch" time which you may have set for every 15 minutes. when your iPhone fetches new information from non-push compatible servers is when your calendar updates itself. change your fetch time to 1 hour, and update your google calendar with an alert within 10 minutes and i'm sure you wont get it. if you do, try it again and you definitely wont get it because your fetch time passed within the hour. all this, of course, can be overridden by opening the calendar app and manually fetching

13. mappyman macrumors regular

Yes, I understand that it would be silly if it overrode the actually fetch times.

But the reply was to CBJammin103 saying the calandar doesnt update and alert you if it's not open, which isnt true.

14. sam011989 macrumors regular

Ah ok. I misunderstood your reply. I can also vouch that that is not true as i updated my calendar on google last night with an alarm, and went to bed without updating my iPhone's calendar. I woke up to my iPhone's alarm that i had set on google calendar. Thus, this shows that the iPhone will fetch new information (when it's supposed to) and alert you if there is an alarm included.