3.0 Increase Speed?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

Does the 3.0 firmware increase speed and efficiency of apps at all? If it does, I'm not waiting for the 3g touch lol.

2. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Things are snappy, as usual, but you aren't going to notice a difference between 2.2.1 and 3.0.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you sure?

4. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

Wait so if the 3g touch is going to be 2 times as fast, how big of a speed difference do you think there will be?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

aside of some games my guess you wont even notice it and even then, wont be a huge deal

just my feeling

apple tends to exaggerate their "claims"

6. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Yeah. Actually, before the gold master candidate of 3.0, things were kinda laggy. But in terms of stability and speed, it's the same as 2.21.

Like dukebound said, the increase in speed will be when switching among applications and gaming. More common tasks will be around the same speed, I'd presume.

7. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

Eh, then I think I'm not going to wait for the 3g. Might as well just get a 2g if there won't be too much of a difference, and so jailbreaking will be easier.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The 2G is difficult to jailbreak right now (last I checked). We have no idea what is in store for the ipod touch come september, if you can wait id strongly suggest doing so.

9. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

But all summer without an MP3 player is gonna suck... But then again, if I get one now, I won't be a happy camper in September.

10. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

but beside speed, 3.0 firmware seems to eat more memory.

11. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

My guess is that the processor and RAM upgrade is more for the developers to have elbow room in developing task intensive apps. We will have better and more sophisticated games etc. Some of these apps may still (some may not) work in our older touches but with lesser stability. So if you're more into enjoying the apps, I suggest get the faster engine. I'm more for the music and videos so I dont really care. Then again, I'll definitely need that capacity upgrade of 64gb.