3.0 MMS Settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by natasha69, Mar 18, 2009.

1. natasha69 macrumors 6502

For 3.0, where do you configure MMS?

Messaging comes with the 3.0 OS, but seeing send failures...

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

MMS currently does not work in iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 1. It's disabled.
    The reason? Carriers. There is an MMS block on all iPhone accounts which needs removing.

MMS won't be free. Once they activate the service and tie into the carriers,
    it will be additional to your contract privileges.

R-Fly

3. sallythemac Guest

I do not agree. The new iPhone MMS feature probably doesn't use the standard protocols that legacy MMS does (this is Apple, remember), and so the networks will have to do some updating to systems (such as they did for Visual Voicemail) to make it work.

iPhone accounts are not "blocked" from MMS. If someone wants to put their SIM in an MMS compatible phone and sends some MMSs, the networks don't care - it means more money for them.

People make out the iPhone uses a special SIM, but they don't. It's a normal 3g SIM and will work as normal in any compatible phone.

True, but o2 have in the past made message allowances applicable to MMS - for example, 1 text for an SMS but 4 are used from your allowance for a MMS. We will have to wait and see what prices will be used tho.

4. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Yea I don't think it has anything to do with the carrier. If I stick my sim card into another phone, I can send MMS just fine so it is enabled on my account.

I think Apple didn't include the carrier specific settings. That is why MMS is not working.

There is probably a way to change the setting by typing in a special number sequence on the keypad. At one point SMS was not working on my iPhone and when I called ATT they had me input some special numbers that changed the SMS settings.

5. sallythemac Guest

Could be true.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

MMS doesn't work because it isn't enabled by the carriers.

7. ldhertert macrumors newbie

Actually, AT&T does in fact actively block iPhone users from sending MMS. I can't speak for O2 or other carriers. This has been confirmed many times, by high level tech support at AT&T. There is a jailbroken app called SwirlyMMS which conforms to standard MMS protocols, and it has been a nightmare to get it to work on AT&T. It is true that you can put your sim into another phone and you will be able to send MMS messages, however once you put it back into your iPhone, your phone registers itself on AT&T's network and they regularly do sweeps to remove your ability to do so. If you don't believe me, you can go see the very long threads on swirly MMS's support forum where people have fought this.

I also disagree that apple would conform to anything other than the standard MMS protocols, as there is really no need. It is an existing standard and gives them all the functionality that they need (whereas voicemail had no standard, and did not give them the functionality they need). They didn't reinvent the wheel with SMS, nor with e-mail (see IMAP/exchange).

8. sallythemac Guest

I have no reason to not believe you, i am just struggling to think of a logical reason AT&T would "sweep" to find iPhone SIMs that had the potential to send MMSs, and then remove it? The only thing i could come up with is the small margin they would loose by people sending MMSs through a jailbroken phone, but this number can't be big enough to warrant enabling MMSs when the SIM is in a normal phone, removing it when it's in an iPhone, and chasing back and forth everytime every user takes their SIM in and out!

Why do you think they do it?

They have picked and choose'd (sic) what Bluetooth protocols to use.

9. ldhertert macrumors newbie

The only reason I could see them using to justify this would be the following: MMS is one of the few features that would be enticing enough for users to jailbreak their phones en masse for. In the end, I think it's annoying and pointless, and I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get SwirlyMMS to work on AT&T, as have many others. People can get it enabled for a short period of time (one method is to switch to another phone), however after AT&T sweeps the network it is no longer functional. As I said, this has been confirmed several times over by tech support. What makes me even more annoyed is that I pay for a messaging package that includes MMS, and they're actively blocking me from using it.

Ahh but they did not pick/change the bluetooth protocol, they are using the standard bluetooth protocol (otherwise they would not be able to communicate with any bluetooth devices!). They have left out several prominent bluetooth profiles, however. This is common practice and any device that needs to have any common bluetooth functionality, like filesharing, needs to choose to include the corresponding profile. We could argue about whether or not it was smart or necessary for them to leave out useful profiles (and I think we'd agree), however they are fully adhering to the bluetooth protocol standards (and for the matter, they also adhere to the bluetooth profile standards that they have included, like headsets).

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

There is absolutely no reason why i should have to pay a single cent more for mms with AT&T. I pay 20 dollars per month for unlimited text messages, and when you go under features on the AT&T website it states in plain english that unlimited text plans COVER MMS, and guess what, it costs 20 dollars per month as well. All that should have to happen is AT&T swap the super special iphone text plan for a straight up one that inlcudes mms, which, in case you missed it the first time, costs the same price.