3.0 needs 3GS IMO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Having spent the day with the 3GS, tonight I cranked up the 3G it replaced for a final check before wiping it pre-sale.

At first when I got the 3GS, it felt snappier, but not blazingly fast. I wasn't sure I'd made the right choice by not waiting another year to upgrade.

But upon playing around with the 3G this evening, I was fairly surprised at A.) how much slower it is at many things, and B.) how quickly I'd gotten used to the new speed of the 3GS.

In short, at first you may feel a bit underwhelmed with the 3GS if you're coming from a 3G, but the difference will really hit home if you spend a day or two with the 3GS and then try to go back to the 3G. At least it did for me.

The title of the post refers to the fact that 3.0 is a bit sluggish on the 3G IMO. As soon as I installed it on the 17th, I noticed a slowdown across the entire UI and in several apps. The transition from the home page to Spotlight was particularly choppy, for me anyway.

On a 3G, 3.0 offers a good feature set at the cost of some speed. But on the 3GS, 3.0 really shines.

Signing off.

2. merics macrumors member

I stopped by AT&T store today and did some comparisons with my 16gig 3G. You're correct that the 3GS is noticeably faster. I compared browser and other like apps and the 3GS opened faster every time. But, the noticed speed and few improvements was not enough to make we want to move up. I'm thinking I'll hang on to current model and await the 2010 iPhone. The software is enough to keep my pleased for next year.

3. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

I agree. I jailbroke my 3G on 3.0 and it's really not as speedy as 2.2.1. Even my roommate's stock 3G on 3.0 is not as speedy as 2.2.1.

My new 3GS just flies. I can't wait until the jailbreak comes out because it should definitely run smoother.

Even typing on message boards is so much better. The scrolling while typing, and ZERO lag makes you more productive rather than waiting while the phone slows down.

4. ttech10 macrumors 6502

One of the first things I did when I got my 3GS set up was compare it with the 3G on different things.

The 3GS was noticeably faster on pretty much everything.

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

I have not seen any of this sluggishness you report of!

In fact, I have been extremely happy with 3.0! Landscape texting has made things so much easier that I cannot really complain! And spotlight has really allowed my to optimize my app pages. I can now have Settings on the last page and still easily launch it with spotlight!

The 3G S might be faster, but that really isn't making me want to jump and get the phone this instant. For me, and I bet for many people, 3.0 should be good enough. Of course, people that have 3G S's will think their 3Gs are slow because...well that is what happens when you go to something faster and back! Us 3G owners have a different perspective and are content with what we have (or most of us are!).