3.0 nothing but trouble - rollback possible?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PrincessPeach, Jun 26, 2009.

1. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

Hello

I installed 3.0 on my iPhone with no problems, so my husband bought it for his Touch and did the same. Big mistake. He's had endless problems which persist through resets, restores, complete wipes and renames and has now given up.

I remembered that it used to be possible to roll back to previous versions on the iPods if one update went bad (I'm certain I did it once) but the process on the Touch seems to be very convoluted. Am I going mad? Is there an easy way to do this or is he stuck with his performance issues (massive lag, absurdly slow syncing and random crashes)? He loves his Touch so seeing him so upset is a shame.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Find the last .ipsw file, and ctrl-click restore in itunes (or maybe cmd-click, I can't remember) and you should be able to choose the .ipsw you downloaded for the restore.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

If you can't find the 2.2.1 firmware files on the computer, then get it off this site

then hold down option +restore (mac)
    i think it was either alt + restore or shift +restore (pc)
    it will prompt you to find your IPSW file. find it then wait for the magic to happen.

4. PrincessPeach thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, thanks guys. I'll see whether we can get the iPod back to normal :)

5. PrincessPeach thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm problems still. The iPod isn't restoring properly. We have the firmware updates from the last year (and have tried the downloaded one linked as well) but keep getting failures (error code 20, not that it seems to help). We'll keep trying but any suggestions would be useful. Thankfully we were able to put 3.0 back on it so it's not a complete brick but it's a shame the simple restore isn't turning out to be so simple.

Thanks

Edit: Ignore this, finally got it working on a different Mac so 2.2.1 will be up soon and we can hopefully put this behind us until the 3.0 issues are resolved!

6. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

pretty sure Apple will NOT let you roll back to 2.2.1

you are officially stuck with 3.0.

Yes, I know, very controlling Apple is.

7. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

I haven't found an ipsw that works either. I've tried several that were listed here and others I found but no luck yet. We may be stuck with 3.0.

8. dub45 macrumors newbie

It is blatantly obvious that Apple released this without the most rudimentary level of testing. Any sort of testing at all would have shown up the wireless problem. A feature that is an essential part of the touch for a lot of people.

People have spent endless hours attempting to get this fixed (see Apple's own forums) having spend good money and what do Apple do? Continue selling this update in the Itunes store surely by now in the full knowledge that it will actually diminish the performance of a product.

I requested a refund from the Itunes store and of course they refused.

Why do people put up with this apalling treatment with such passivity?

9. AngryApple macrumors 6502

What are the problems with 3.0? I didn't notice any issues. :confused:

10. dub45 macrumors newbie

There are plenty of threads on here and on Apple's own forums if you wish to catch up.

11. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

+1.

Working fine on my 1G. I am even texting now with textfree.

12. PrincessPeach thread starter macrumors regular

In our case the main bug that was causing annoyance was the extreme lag on changing songs - sometimes 5-10 seconds. That's unacceptable for something which was primarily bought to be a music player!

Happily back on 2.2.1 now with no more lag. The downgrade is most certainly still possible. All we had to do was make sure that the iPod was ready to restore (connected then held home+power until it turned off, then released power with home still pressed until the Mac noticed). Option+Restore let us use the old ipsw.

13. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

My only bitch right now is that it killed one of my video cables. It wasn't a genuine Apple cable but for Apple to possibly, deliberately , change something on purpose just to protect something as petty as their cable sales, speaks volumes for their sale tactics. I know stuff like this isn't new to Apple, but.....

14. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

crmccashin i know what you mean. I can't believe apple expects people to pay 10 dollars for something that can screw up the ipod touch. i think those "betas" were epicly pointless if there are still major bugs.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Wifi issues? I haven't experienced anything like that for once. I've used public wifi and my home setup and not a lick of trouble.

There is at times some sluggish behavior since 3.0 but other that flawless on my 2G touch. The 1G has a slight issue but when starting up but nothing major.

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

The only major issue I have had is that my WiFi connection drops out randomly, even when I have a strong signal. Also the music application lags a bit more than it did on previous firmwares.