3.0 query - in-ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brien, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'm well aware the volume up/down buttons don't work on the iPhone, although I've noticed Apple is now selling the mic/remote buds as standard on the shuffle/iPods (or at least replacement ones all have them now).

However, can someone with 3.0 and either the new remote buds or in-ear buds check and see if they've managed to get that working?

Sorry if somebody already asked in another 3.0 thread, but MRoogle didn't seem to find any answers, just a lot of bitching back when the buds came out. :)

TIA

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

AFAIK, it's a hardware limitation, so you'll need the forthcoming iPhone to have volume control.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep. I think the first two generations of iPhones have 3 notches inside the jack, which correspond with the 3 on the iPhone earbuds with the microphone. The new iPod touch has a 4th notch, which is used for the volume. I would be extremely shocked if the new iPhone doesn't incorporate this. They might even start coming with the iPod shuffle-style headphones that have a volume control.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

For the avoidance of doubt I've tested, and they do not gain volume functionality on an existing iPhone running beta 3 (for the reasons explained above. It is a hardware limitation).

Phazer

5. koollectablz macrumors 6502

I know its currently a hardware limitation but would a software solution be able to use the notch that is currently for the microphone just be used for the volume as standard and then just switch to the microphone when you get a call? Or just when a program makes that usage call on the hardware?

ATEOTD its all just so much electrical impulses for everything?

6. Brien thread starter macrumors 68020

Brien

If it's a hardware thing, then nope.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do think Apple will just start using the new headphones for iPods and iPhones, it will save them money only having to produce 1 type of headphone.

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Maybe when the new iPhone comes out, they'll work fully... I hope so, they're really good headphones, I like them a lot