Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
First off sorry if this has been posted, I tried to post it on my iPhone before but don't think it worked.

To cut a long story short, I sold my 3G on ebay. The buyer has requested me to keep 2.2.1 on so he can unlock it. Can i upgrade to 3.0 then downgrade before I post it? I don't know much about this unlocking business.

My worry is I have heard that once you download 3.0 you can't go back to a earlier firmware. Also even if you can, by putting 3.0 on my phone could it do anything that would stop it being unlocked? Even if i did go back to 2.2.1?

Help would be appreciated.

22Hz

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I know that with the 3.0 Gold Master you can't revert back to 2.2.1. I'm not certain about the official 3.0 being released today.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
First off sorry if this has been posted, I tried to post it on my iPhone before but don't think it worked.

To cut a long story short, I sold my 3G on ebay. The buyer has requested me to keep 2.2.1 on so he can unlock it. Can i upgrade to 3.0 then downgrade before I post it? I don't know much about this unlocking business.

My worry is I have heard that once you download 3.0 you can't go back to a earlier firmware. Also even if you can, by putting 3.0 on my phone could it do anything that would stop it being unlocked? Even if i did go back to 2.2.1?

Help would be appreciated.

Why go and update it if you're selling it? Buyer's made a specific request to keep 2.2.1 i.e. don't update.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I think you should leave the phone as is. The buyer is buying the phone with the expectation that it will have 2.2.1 and not 3.0.

BNZ1

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
London
My understanding is this:

1. Yes you can roll back from 3.0 to 2.2.1 but no you cannot roll back the baseband.

2. Yes 3.0 can be unlocked - check the dev team blog.

3. Why the hell would you upgrade a phone you have sold and the buyer has clearly asked you not too?

JohnFa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Funny that he wanted it on 2.2.1 since that firmware version can't be unlocked :)
Anyway, mail him and tell him 3.0 can be unlock this Friday. He'll probably thank you for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.