Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
SMS chat with gmail users seems to be broken, though I cannot reproduce it consistently. Basically the text of the message is cut off. Gmail SMS mesages are prefixed with "Gmail - user@gmail.com:" and everything after the colon is the body of the text sent. It's the body that's missing. See the attachments (editted for privacy). The "hey" message was cut off in the right pic.

The SMS preview screen (left pic) shows the txts properly but the main send/receive screen glitches. Again I can't reproduce this all the time, e.g. w/ the test user that sent "blah blah blah"; those messages came through fine.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this? Wasn't an issue at all w/ 2.x; perhaps related to switching between landscape and portrait modes, which I did often to mess around with the feature. :D

Thanks

PS -- I did a "clean" install, via the DFU method.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.PNG
    IMG_0006.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 77

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Update: this is not specific to Gmail. This is purely a text rendering failure. Gmail SMS just happens to make the quirk show itself!

I sent some test SMS msgs from my phone to itself. Issue reproduced. It particularly likes to choke when:
  1. SMS is only a couple words or less
  2. The gmail user's address is long enough to require one line by itself

It seems to NOT suffer from rendering failure when the SMS msg is longer (a couple of lines) or if the sender's address is short enough to fit on one line with the first word or two of the actual SMS message.

Below is an example of a SMS sent from my phone to itself. I don't show the received message because it looks exactly like the sent, minus the green highlight. :p

This is purely a display issue. Although the text looks invisible, it is there; use the new Copy function to copy the received message to the clipboard, then Paste, and the entire SMS message will reveal itself. A crappy way to read messages tho ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0013.PNG
    IMG_0013.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0014.PNG
    IMG_0014.PNG
    71 KB · Views: 89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.