3.0 Upgrade for 1G iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Austin2048, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

ok, i know the 1G iPod Touch wont have Bluetooth with the 3.0 update but is there anything else that the 2G will have that the 1G wont? i have a 1G and im not upgrading to a 2G anytime soon and i was just curious about this. i dont wanna buy the 3.0 for 10 bucks and have like nothing changed, it would feel like a waste of ten bucks..... unless i can find it for do free, i always tend to find things for free....

2. hellrider macrumors regular

There will certainly be benefits, on a strictly software level.

The 2G has nicer speakers and supports audio-in through the headphone jack, the 1G does not.

3. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

wait.... audio in?? so you can plug somethin into the headphone jack and use the speaker??

4. hellrider macrumors regular

Not like an amplifier, if that's what you're asking - but some applications support voice interaction (ie Skype). Apple sells headphones with a built in mic for such a purpose.

5. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

ooohhh, you mean a mic. i was thinkin somethin else

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

because the 1g doesn't have speakers at all o_O........ except for system sounds

7. beeh macrumors regular

I've been using 3.0 on my 1G Touch for a while now and it does have some noticeable changes for me. Two that I use quite a bit are the system-wide ( Spotlight ) search and copy/paste. Plus Landscape mode to email, notes, etc. is really nice.

I'm sure there's a lot more features someone with a 1G Touch would be able to use, I'm just speaking to the ones I have used so far.

8. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

if i go to 3.0 before its released dont i have to turn off my laptops wireless before syncing cuz Apple will dissable my iPod? i saw that somewhere. i think i might wanna upgrade before its officially released

9. retroneo macrumors 6502a

You need to the device be registered with Apple's Dev Program for it become activated. I use beta 5, it's a little buggy still.

10. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

does that cost anything? can anyone do that? and how do i do that?

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. You must pay $99 to get the betas

12. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

yeah, i dont have the money and by the time i get a job this summer and get enough money it will probly already be released. what is the release date anyway? is the date final?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We have no clue. We have no clue.

There is no point joining at this stage in the release. There are no more betas, anyway, and the software is free (iPhones).

14. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

i have an iPod Touch so i gotta pay the 10 bucks.... unless i can find it free somewhere

15. macaco74 macrumors regular

I will keep my ipod touch 1G with version 2.0 and simply update the iphone for free. This $9.99 charge is irritating.

16. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

well wont there be a free firmware download somewhere eventually? i know where to get the 2.0 firmware for free so i figured id be able to find 3.0 for free

17. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Don't start asking where to get pirated software. You'll only get your thread wastelanded.

18. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

yeah, i just found out im not supposed to talk about pirated software on here so i will stop that

19. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

The thing that kills me is I paid $299 for my iTouch 16GB which in respect is a heft price considering what you pay for an iPhone, they should give the 3.0 to anyone who bought a 16 or 32 GB model, 2G. :(

There is nothing truly compelling that would make me spend $10 out of principal just to get the update, not at all, kinda erks me. :eek:

20. beeh macrumors regular

I paid the $99 dev. fee a while back and got the update because all apps now are supposed to be tested with 3.0 before they are submitted. Otherwise I wouldn't try to upgrade to 3.0 before it is released because it just seems like it would be a pain to jump through all the hoops to get to use it a few weeks early.

21. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Dude... i feel you. I paid $399 for my 16GB 1st gen touch. This was when there was no 32GB model. I then paid $19.99 for the "January Software Upgrade", and another $9.99 for the 2.0 software upgrade. With 3.0, that will be a total $438.97. Mine costs more, and does less!

22. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You're not paying more. The thing I think you're not accounting for is that iPhone users pay $70+ every month for the service. You, nothing.

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

But in the case of the iPhone 3G, AT&T's getting that money for providing cellular service. Apple's not getting it for providing software upgrades. After Apple receives its lump-sum payment from AT&T (your purchase price plus the carrier's subsidy), Apple doesn't see any further money.

It's the way they account for the iPhone money differently from the iPod touch money, that makes it legal for them to add new software features to the iPhone for free. (But that makes me wonder - how are they legally permitted to allow iPod touch apps in the app store, which add new functionality, to be offered for free?)

But there's another interesting observation to make here... Apple actually receives somewhere between $499 and $699 for a 16GB iPhone 3G. From their perspective, that's still between $60 and $260 more than you will have spent on your iPod touch, by the time you purchase OS 3.0.

24. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I understand. I'm not totally sure that there's not some money going back to Apple from ATT (I seem to remember there being something like that in the pricing structure), but I understand that what you describe is essentially true. I was just trying to make the point that the people who feel entitled to the upgrade solely by virtue of the amount of money leaving their wallet that the iPhone users are actually spending more (regardless of where it's going) than the iPod Touch users. People often seem to lose sight of that for some reason.

25. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

This is admittedly off topic, but what it's worth, there were (indeed, there still are) monthly kickbacks from AT&T to Apple for every original iPhone connected to AT&T's network. That is not the case for the iPhone 3G.