3.0 Upgrade On Newly Purchased Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chantman, Jul 9, 2009.

1. chantman macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Today my friend bought an iPod Touch from WalMart. When he plugged it into his computer and brought up iTunes, it said he would be charged the $10.00 fee to upgrade. Is there a way to get the fee waived, since he purchased the Touch after 3.0 came out?

Thanks!

-Mike

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

There is no way to go around. I just bought mine too and I am not upgrading to 3.0 because I will be upgrading to the new iPod Touch 3G in Sept/Oct.

4. MAC~n~Cheese macrumors newbie

Doubtful. If you/he does call Apple and gets it waived, please post back. I just got my new ipod touch w/ my macbook about a week and a half ago. From my understanding, none of the new ipod touches that are being sold/shipped come with 3.0 preinstalled. It's still $10 for every update.

Needless to say, I haven't upgraded yet either b/c i dont wanna have to pay more for the most recent update when i just got my ipod. But, i suppose that's how it works ... and they're Apple, they can do what they want. :p

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Same thing happened last year when 2.0 came out. You only get it on new gen iPods after the release, which will be sept/oct.

They won't give you a free upgrade.

6. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

yeah same case.. i bought an iPod Touch yesterday ( knowing that it's still not 3.0 )

and i was wondering the same thing if i should waive Apple to give me free update since i bought it after 3.0 update is out

but after reading this thread, i think ill just pay $10 and get a new one on Oct

so you guys sure Apple wont give us free updates to 3.0 even if we buy the iPod after the release of 3.0?

7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Not a chance :rolleyes:

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Then you'd be wasting $300 instead of $10. Why buy two iPod touches just to get the 3.0 software update? That's not smart.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3.0 is a paid upgrade for ALL iPod touches, regardless of when it was purchased.

In September (I presume September because it's been that way for years) when the iPod touch gets revved it will come with 3.whatever pre-installed.