3.0 USB hard drive not detected on reboot in imac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jaydeie, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jaydeie macrumors newbie

Hi, first of all say hi to all of you as its my first post :)

i´ve just bought a new imac a month ago and just found only one annoying problem that it´s keeping me kind of fustrated.

I´ve have 2 WD USB 3.0 external harddrives plugged to the imac.

Whenever i get into Windows using bootcamp, they are not recognized by the system (They work fine in OSX), so i have to unplug and plug them again in order to work fine.

i´ve already ask at Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2737794?start=0&tstart=0

and looks like a lot of people with the same problem and the same thing in common its the external hardrives are 3.0, but no one is able to tell a correct answer, so here i am, hoping you will.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

One possible solution ( or at least a bypass ) is to create a little bat file ( executable script file ) that you put into the windows startup program folder.

It would then get kicked off after the windows system had finished initializing.

You would just need to make it executable and give it the correct windows command to re-scan the disk environment.

Maybe something like this?: anand tech forum

3. Jaydeie thread starter macrumors newbie

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

What did you do exactly?

5. thefed macrumors newbie

Similar problem

Been having a similar problem, although for me the usb 3.0 hard drives ARE detected using Windows through bootcamp, but ARE NOT detected on OS X Snow Leopard. In fact, they were working just fine up until a few days ago, and now suddenly they've all stopped. I can't even find a way to get them to work if I unplug and replug. USB 2.0 is fine though.

6. Jaydeie thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to cmd, then execute diskpart.exe rescan :(

7. BarkingGhost macrumors regular