3.0 - WTF is the new LOL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickXedge, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Does it annoy anyone else that although finally they stopped auto capitalizing LOL when texting, they now auto capitalize WTF? So now instead of yell-laughing at my friends I yell WTF at them instead of saying it casually.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

not again..

Do you guys really want a perfect auto-correct feature? You can just
    ignore whatever it suggests, pretty simple. It's not a big deal either.

3. dlemmon macrumors regular

it doesn't annoy me. does anyone else feel guilty when the thing fixes your typing automatically? for some reason I have to resist the urge to erase and type it out properly.

it's almost like I'm afraid I'll get too sloppy at typing by relying on it too much. kinda dumb but oh well.

4. bracesj macrumors newbie

the auto-capitalize of WTF existed before 3.0

5. Que macrumors 6502

as i'm not a 12 year old girl i don't use "wtf" or "lol" etc.

however the one thing that doesn't auto-correct (and rightly so) is "for-fir". it's not a fault as they're both words and with the "o" being next to the "i" it's easily done.

anybody else notice they're saying things like "i'm going out fir dinner"? i've noticed it a lot on twitter, if you see "fir" being used and the writer isn't a horticulturist then you can be be fairly sure they have an iphone.

6. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It also used to correct "bot" to "not", and while bot is an actual word, I find myself using "not" much more often. Also, it's annoying now that "dis" isn't auto-corrected to "did" anymore. "dis" isn't even a word, more like the 'ghetto' way to type "this". :rolleyes:

7. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

I do that a lot, i also say 'bit' instead of 'but', my friends have learnt what i actually mean over time, like using an iPhone-English dictionary :p

What i do say a bit is atm, and it auto-corrects to ATM, which i understand because ATM is a word, but like LOL people think i'm 'shouting' in my messages a bit.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Actually, it annoys me that they stopped auto-capitalizing LOL. I hate having to press CAPS-LOCK before typing LOL now.

My take on "yelling" is that it doesn't apply to acronyms, which are originally meant to be capitalized. Nobody would type "nasa" instead of "NASA," right?

9. Que macrumors 6502

Not all acronyms should be capitalized, you need to think of what the acronym is. If you were writing it in a sentence you would put "I went to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration offices yesterday" with capitals but would you type, "Bob told me a joke in the middle of the speech and I Laughed Out Loud" or "Bob told me a joke in the middle of the speech and I laughed out loud"?

10. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

fuch of you ducking idiots

LOL, remember that? i was like totally WTF man?
    :rolleyes:

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

That's a good point. :)

12. ay98182 macrumors member

Stop being so pretentious. People of both genders, all ages and all degrees of intelligence use acronyms, including the above examples of 'wtf', 'lol' etc.

It's called the evolution or adaptation of language and that's what makes language such a powerful tool - so deal with it.

13. Que macrumors 6502

no.

i was waiting for some saddo to come along and defend the use of acronyms.

well done, it took a while but you took the bait:D

is that your mum i hear calling you? it must be difficult still living with her in your mid-30's.

14. ay98182 macrumors member

Your insults really struck me to the core. What have I been doing with my life? Still living with my parents, no job. You're so accurate it's not even funny. lol.

15. Que macrumors 6502

at least you've realised your errors, there's still time. i'm sure you're mum will find someone else to shave her back for her.

16. alFR macrumors 68020

Since this thread seems filled with pettiness, may I point out that the bolded word above should be "your"? Kind of sloppy coming from a language critic. Glass houses, stones etc...

17. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Yes!! I've stopped correcting it, and figure the reader will know what I meant :D

18. Que macrumors 6502

yes i spelled that incorrectly, thank you for pointing out my error.

i don't see myself as a language critic but thank you for that complimentary title, it's much appreciated. considering that, i think it's best that i point out to you that i don't believe "bolded" to be a word. the word you are referring to is 'in bold text', not 'bolded'.

Glass houses, stones etc...:)

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not to dis you but "dis" is actually a fairly common word.

Verb. Act or speak in a disrespectful way toward: "He was expelled for dissing the gym teacher".