Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Talev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Hey guys I'm new here and a current windows from australia user and making my move to mac in the next month, mainly because Im going to be studying Multimedia and feel that a mac would be alot more appropriate is it is more of the industry standard for being creative lol

My problem is... im not sure wether to buy the new 3.06 ghz 24 inch or the 2.8 ghz 24 inch...
is the 3.06 worth the AU$3000 for wat im gonna do or does the original 24 still have a good punch for all the multimedia things i'd be doing

ur help is much appreciated :)

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
If you think you will need every ounce of power from your machine, then go for the 3.06Ghz. Actually, go for the Mac Pro if you need a lot of power. If you think you need a machine with just enough power for basic editing and a large, glossy screen, then go for the 2.8Ghz.

Just really depends on what you think you'll need. Good thing is that you can't really go wrong with any of the two. Just max out on RAM and you should be good to go.

Talev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
If you think you will need every ounce of power from your machine, then go for the 3.06Ghz. Actually, go for the Mac Pro if you need a lot of power. If you think you need a machine with just enough power for basic editing and a large, glossy screen, then go for the 2.8Ghz.

yeah i dont think i'd be doing anything SUPER crazy you know what I mean.. I used older macs from previous studies and they still worked great, there wouldnt be too many ppl with a 3.06 ghz around neway would there?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I think the 3.06 GHz system also has the higher end graphics system, which is better if you're a gamer. My son has one and his WOW graphics are very slick with all the graphics options set to max.

Talev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
well i've now decided im gunna get the 2.8 ghz with 4 gig ram and the graphics card that comes in the 3.06 ghz with an education discount! woo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.