3.06 Ghz or 3.33 Ghz ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrenchPB, Nov 25, 2009.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

I think I'll get a new 21.5" iMac in the very near future. I'd love to get the 27", which I can afford, but I don't think I have the needs for that. I only use my iMac at home for music, photos, internet, ... casual stuff.

The most CPU intensive activity I do is play 1080p video files (mkv, mp4, avi, ...) on it, and display the picture on my HDTV using a VGA cord.

Even though I could use the bigger screen to watch those videos, I just like to do that in my living room rather than at my desk. As for the RAM, the 4gig by default + an additionnal 4gig bought on crucial seems to make the most sense if you guy agree that it's easy to install and not worth upgrading on the Apple online store.

So the only question remaining is :
    - what processor should I get ? 3.06 or 3.33 Ghz ?

Oh by the way, I'm looking at the higher end 21,5" model, especially because of the graphic card. What do you advise me to do ? :apple:

2. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

In which case should someone get the 3.33 ? Any idea ?

Can't find a particular answer onthat subject using the search feature...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think you'll notice any difference between the two processors, but if you can afford/want the larger screen and you can afford it, why not?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can't notice a 10% difference in CPU speed. Not unless you use a stop watch.

Also the uses you list do not even use 100% of the slower CPU so getting a faster one means in will at lower utilization.

The larger screen is very usful if you ever use applications like Logic, Final Cut or Aperure because all of those have many, many controls and tend to fill up any size screen. But for thinks like email reading my 24" screen is twice as big as it needs to be.

Who would use the faster CPU? Mostly people with spare cash who just want the best. Or may be thinking that a faster CPU will Last longer" that is, it will not need to be upgraded as soon. Maybe you buy a few more months.

Also if when you listed "music" as a use for the iMac you meant "recording" then a faster CPU might allow you to sneal in one more virtual instrument track if you were on the edge. But 10% is such a small difference that all of these arguments are weak.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

you wont at all notice the difference, and realistically a 21.5" screen is still prrrreeetttyy big, if you have the money though, might aswell get the 27[​IMG]