3.06 or 2.8 for creating videos

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Teacherman, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Teacherman macrumors newbie

HI
    I have been following the forum here, and have read a lot of great advice regarding the new iMacs. I am still unsure whether to go with the 2.8 or 3.06 based on my use. I have read the 3.06 is for “gamers” which I am not. I am teacher and use videos that I create in the classroom. I take images, student work (drawings, narration) , and video (news, movie, documentary etc) (off Tivo or Internet), DVDs, and create 2 to 20 minutes videos illustrating an idea such as the Industrial Revolution or Great Depression, tying it to current events. So I cut up various source materials and put all back together again. I use programs like Fotomagico, Imovie, Itunes, Keynote, Garageband etc to integrate the images, videos, questions, ideas.I will then export the videos made for either a DVD , Ipod, or for my class website. I currently have an iMac G5 (2nd gen).

Since I often use current events i want a quick turnaround, so process / converting videos from DVDs, and then exporting my created “movies” to a playable format quickly would be valuable. Is there a big processing speed gain between the following two configurations. ? Is it worth the $400 to go with 3.06/Nvidia option? Any suggestions. I plan adding RAM to either. Or is it best to just max out the RAM?

Choice 1
    • 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 320GB hard drive1
    • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Choice 2
    • 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    500 GB hard drive1
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3

thanks for the input.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

On Macs, video encoding are done by the cpu. There is no leveraging of the gpu. Faster cpu, faster encode times.

3. savvos macrumors regular

If you want the fastest encoding times with the least cost, you can get the base 24" and upgrade the processor to 3.06 Ghz for $200, that way you aren't spending money on a graphics card you don't need. I also believe the ATI card is faster with pro apps.

4. kabunaru Guest

Might as well just get the iMac with the ATI card in this case. :)

5. keltorsori macrumors regular

Go for the better video card. The processor isn't really that important. However, h.264 and mpeg-2 encoders that are optimized for openCL or cuda are on their way to the front. These will make a HUGE difference in encode time, more than any limited processor speed bump.

6. Teacherman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to those who have offered insight to my buying decision, it appears that there is difference of opinion. If I understand the postings, - I will get faster encoding now -from the 3.06GHZ , but in future encoders are being developed that will take advantage of the Nvidia Card vs the ATI card.

Besides gameplay what advantages does the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3 - offer to people who utilize the ILife and other apps to make videos / presentations, etc? , or to any others users besides gameplayers?

again, thanks for the advice and others future input, on what would be the best iMac for my stated purposes (cost/benefit)