3.06 uMBP drive won't sleep, 3hr batt life :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeT5, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MikeT5 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can throw any light on this issue, but got my new (refurb) 15.4" 3.06ghz MBP a week or so ago. It came with Seagate 320GB 7200 rpm 'ASG' drive, which I immediately upgraded to Seagate 500GB 7200rpm 'AS' drive. Anyway, the drive spins all the time regardless and won't spin down unless you close the lid. I have the energy saver set to enable drive spin down to save power, but it won't do it. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Mike.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how odd. whats your CPU usage like? is there any HDD usage? (activity monitor is your friend).

i would take it back to the apple store and get them to have a look at it.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you have a runaway process/application rather than a hardware fault. Check activity monitor as previous poster said. Make sure you select "all processes"

An idle Mac should be using something around 5% of its CPU. More than that indicates something's wrong with the software.

REALLY stupid question - have you tried rebooting it?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nice suggestions man :)

another idea, is to check the capacity of the battery. maybe they gave you a dud battery? use coconut and tell us what it says. :)

5. MikeT5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, just an update...

I have since installed a new WD 1TB drive into this machine, and the saga continues. The maximum battery life that is ever displayed is 3hrs, and the hard drive has never once spun down, even if restarted and no apps opened. Even if Activity Monitor shows no activity, it still won't spin down. It will literally keep spinning until the battery is completely flat.

Any further ideas would be welcomed.

Best regards,

Mike.

6. apple.gr macrumors regular

If you had the same problem with the 320GB then it is not HDD fault. Go to an applestore and let them check it. At least you can be refunded and buy a new same spec refurb mbp.