3.06 vs 2.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by designkf, Jun 28, 2009.

1. designkf macrumors newbie

3.06 vs 2.8? is the extra $270 dollars worth it for the 3.06 if I am getting a new 17" macbook pro for my design and film major? Also, I want to be able to keep this laptop for 5 years through the rest of my undergrad and grad school... what would you suggest?

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

3.06 vs 2.8? Not worth the $270. For $270, I can buy more RAM and external hard drive.

Also, I want to be able to keep this laptop for 5 years through the rest of my undergrad and grad school... what would you suggest?

Not get a 17" laptop or a Macbook Pro 15".

MBP 17" $2499 or Refurbished Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon for $2399?

No laptop is going to last you 5 years unless you do not upgrade to new versions of Creative Suite and Final Cut Studio every time.

Its my 3rd year going 4th and I have a Macbook Pro 17" thinking it would last me. It did, but man if I knew what I know now, Mac Pro and Air combo.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you have the money, buy it, but I think the difference between the 2.8 and 3.06 is unnoticeable.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U probably wont see the difference. The 3.06 is for people that have money to spend.:D

5. Dreamail macrumors 6502

I'm with xparaparafreakx.

If film and Final Cut is your thing, none of the current MacBooks will last you comfortably 5 years.
    It will be a struggle in 3 years time when everyone else is rendering on 16 concurrent threads and you're still stuck on a measly 2. Thats 1/8 the speed! It'll seem very slow.

You're much better off getting a refurbished Mac Pro and a cheap notebook. Even the $999 MacBook will do fine for note taking in class.

Such a setup might last you 5 years.

6. designkf thread starter macrumors newbie

will i be able to upgrade to the 3.06 later if i decide i want to?

7. Dreamail macrumors 6502

No, unfortunately not.

Both CPU and GPU are soldered onto the motherboard. They are not upgradable. And you'd likely ruin the motherboard trying to get them off.

You must choose at time of purchase what CPU and GPU you want.

The only things upgradable later are RAM and HD.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

is the 3.06 the fastest CPU Intel currently makes for the Core 2 Duo or are they more?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The ego boost doesn't last long, and at $270 for the big ego, all some of us do is look at you and wish we had a needle to pop your inflated head.

Money is better spent on things that you'll actually may need -- like Apple Care, RAM, HD, WoW game time cards, etc.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you really want to be using this computer for the next 5 years, then it would be a good investment to spend the extra bit on the faster processor, but if in reality, you will be replacing it a lot sooner, consider the standard configuration—also it's easier to ask for a replacement later if need be on the standard configuration. ;)

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Any computer made today will, at most, be suitable for only basic consumer purposes in five years if you're lucky.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

In 5 years the difference won't mean sh!!t just like it doesn't now. If you compare 5 year-old systems to current ones you'd be looking at 1.33 GHz vs 1.5 GHz G4 Powerbooks - would it matter if you had 1.5 GHz one? lol.

Get it if you have money to burn, but I'd rather get a FW800 hard drive and a good sleeve/backpack/bag instead.

13. kmac88 macrumors member

in 5 years, there will be know windows. just macs

14. beowulf1877 macrumors newbie

Myself I would get the 3.06 if you want 5 years out of it, That is completely NOT unfeasable. Seeing how my wife got her 17PB her freshman year in college. And continued to use it for three years after college until this past Feb, when we finally upgraded her rig, and sold her PB for $800 on Ebay. No PC will EVER do that!

You should get the educational discount, buy the 3.06 and I would suggest the SSD. To make back some of your money don't open the Ipod Touch and sell it on Ebay for $200.

You going to need to get as much pump that is available to you at the time, to maximize your time with it. If you decide against the SSD, upgrade to the 7200rpm option in the 320GB, you can get better deals on larger hard drives somewhere else. Stay with the 4GB Ram, you will be able to upgrade to 8GB within a year for reasonable pricing. Hopefully for less then 2-300 dollars.

You will have to upgrade your software every 2 years regardless. Educational discounts makes that easier. Then when you find a full time job, after school, your company should provide you with the needed software.

15. beowulf1877 macrumors newbie

Although I like Dreamails idea of getting a MP, then maybe a inexpensive MB possibly refurbished. You get the pump and the portability.

16. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Errr... I highly doubt that.

17. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

For general users, the mighty PBG4 are amazing. Tibook 1Ghz and the Al Powerbooks pack enough punch to last users for a long time. I went home and booted up my old TiBook and little brothers 1.5GHz Al PBG4. Still great for regular users.

However the OP is not our regular user. He doing CS 4, maybe with RAW images, editing on Final Cut Studio. The best the laptop can do for him is 2-3 years. No where close to his 5 years he wants.

Only if he resist form upgrading the newer versions of CS and FCS do I see maybe it last him the 5 years he wants.

18. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it'd make a huge difference to you, but if you can afford it, then go for it!

19. kmac88 macrumors member

it was a joke :S