3.0b2 hints that native iChat is coming!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AHDuke99, Apr 3, 2009.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I don't normally go and make assumptions like this, but after playing around with the newly installed 3.0 beta 2 yesterday, I noticed something that leads me to believe that a native iChat/AIM client is coming in future builds on 3.0.

Why?

If you look at your contact lists page now, it lists and gives you the option to add an AIM screename onto their card. As of now, nothing happens when you tap on their screename, but in the future, I would assume it would open up the iChat client. I still believe it will be integrated into the messages app in some fashion, so your SMS, MMS, and IM messages will all be in one place.

2. exhibit.b macrumors regular

3. Pared macrumors 65816

Really? It's not in 2.2.1. I just looked.

4. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm sorry, but I never had this on my 2.2.1 software. The only place where I could view AIM names was on the AIM software from the appstore. I'm now able to add instant message handles in the phone contacts application, which I was never able to do before.

5. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I don't have this on my iPhone.. So it's deff new with 3.0

..Hmmm

6. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Actually,
    you pull up a contact: edit: scroll down to "add new instant messag"; tap that and the choice comes up to add an AIM screen name.

This option is only available if you have already added an email addy for that contact.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Really? I'm pretty sure that I've always been able to add IM info to my contacts, even in the 1.x days. :confused:

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

I don't see this.

9. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I can't add a new aim screen name to my contacts.

10. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

yap its here new in 3.0b2. Also the field "Name phonetics" and "Surname phonetics".
    Not sure why!
    Maybe voice recognition or better, or an alert system that announces who is trying to call when listen to music through headphones.

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

To sum up the confusion:

Technically, the ability to add the SN is there. You can add and create any field you want.

However, an Apple-originated function to add an SN and seamlessly work with software was not there.

12. ZunePod macrumors regular

There could be a front facing camera on the new iPhone?

13. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'd think phonetics would be an inbound thing for pronunciation...

But phonetics were also in 2.2.1. I don't see the "add new instant message" in my 2.2.1 though and it is in my 3.0.b2. It also filled this field from the contacts on my Mac for several users. It's clearly a button but does nothing at this point.

14. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The only other possible reasoning would be that the SDK allows third party IM clients to launch when that button is tapped in the contacts menu.

15. The Governor macrumors regular

That my friend has been a rumor before the announcement of the 3G. But.....you never know....