3.1.1 performance on Touch 1G. Is it good?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by osplo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. osplo macrumors member

I am wondering if I should buy the update to 3.1 for my old and lovely first generation Touch. But I think I read somewhere that the new software needs more resources, in other words, that it could be potentially SLOWER than the previous version.

Is this true? Or the opposite is true?

Any other gotchas? Same, reduced, improved battery time for instance?

Thanks a lot

2. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I have a 1st gen touch, and it's surprisingly snappier. Or maybe it's the restore.

As for battery life, it was the best on 2.2.1. But I sacrificed a bit of battery for the 3.0 features. So if you're willing to give up some battery for Push, Cut & Paste, etc., it's totally worth it.

3. osplo thread starter macrumors member

Oops, sounds like a deal breaker. This is why I don't have an iPhone: I'd much rather prefer a thicker device (well, slightly thicker) with double the battery life than a slim one with what the current models offer.

What do you mean "a bit"? Ten percent? Is this something commonly reported by other users? Or is it the enablement of the push notification? What if I turned them off, would I still get the same battery life?

thanks so much

4. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Yeah I would say around 10%. It was reported alot by 3.0 users that there was a change in battery life. Well I don't really use Push that much with the apps I have. So I wouls say it's the same battery life, nothing really major though.

5. osplo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... I think I will not upgrade this time then.

6. dynamo22 macrumors member

I'm using the 3.1.1 on my 1st gen ipod touch, and for me it does seem a little sluggish, especially if you play games on it, then listen to music. I feel it lag when I scroll through my music and/or open any kind of app. The battery may have improved but again it may be the placebo affect taking place. Also Wi-Fi for me has been off. I connect to a local wifi and the signal doesn't hold, like it fluctuate on and off. I think I may upgrade to the new 3rd generation 32 gig just for the speed improvement as other people have been noting and as it says on the front page of macrumors.

Btw, what is this I hear about them releasing possibly a new ipod touch at a new keynote? With a camera? Or is this just purely speculation?

7. osplo thread starter macrumors member

Well, definitely I am NOT upgrading.

You can find more info everywhere, but yes, probably, as there is room for the camera in the new Touch, and it is reported that it was removed at the last minute for some kind of malfunction. But I really do not think that they will add the camera SOON, as it would be detrimental for all the people that buy the Touch right now. Think six months at least, but this is just my humble opinion.

8. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

It is much snappier. And I think I'm getting better battery life than the previous update.

10. ajbart macrumors newbie

Running 3.1.1 on my 1st gen, and it seems a bit slow in areas. Podcast and Artist scrolling are jerky, and occasionally the volume slider will move with my finger and then return to the previous point and can't be shifted, like an elastic-y effect. Don't think i've noticed any other problems, the battery life might be a little less that it used to be but that might be general aging, hard to say, though i have only noticed it lately. It brings up a screen saying updating music / video library (may take a few minutes) when i try and access the ipod section after a sync. This again may be old but i've only just noticed it since the update last wednesday.

Losing the double click home button music controls when music isnt playing and within apps is very annoying but i guess thats not 1st gen specific. It still functions very well, but i fear a few more updates and it may get annoying.

Would apple bring out the anticipated 3.1.2 fairly soon after something like 3.1(.1)?