3.1.2 users Cydia vs Icy vs Rock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Airforcekid, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:What one are you using and why? As of now im going to stay with Cydia haven't jailbroke since 2.2.1.:apple:

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I just used Rock for the first time to download Backgrounder. I was having network connection problems with Cydia so I figured I'd give it a try.

Rock lives up to their advertising- very fast. Starting to dig around a bit now. It has a nice UI. Lots of graphical improvements over Cydia that don't seem to slow it down at all. So far, it seems basically the same as Cydia, but with a facelift.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Cydia is still my favourite. I've had problems when installing stuff through others.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Cydia was always my favorite too, even back when it was Installer's much younger competition. But I must say that I'm impressed with Rock. Not to mention that Cydia has been giving me grief all afternoon and ROck has been, well, rock-solid.

5. Advil macrumors 6502a

I haven't used Rock. Icy is much more pleasant to use than Cydia, but I still find myself going to Cydia out of habit.

6. vexatia macrumors regular

Does Rock track prior Cydia purchases? A friend of mine recently received a replacement phone (with 3.1 pre-installed) and, thanks to Geo Hotz, finally jailbroke the new device today. When he installed prior Cydia purchases on the new device, he logged into the Cydia purchase interface to find that Cydia allowed him to affiliate the new device with his existing Cydia account. He could then reinstall all of his prior Cydia purchases without paying another license fee!

7. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Got to find a video review of rock or icy!

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Rock just crashed my SpringBoard... Never had any problems with Cydia. Why can't people just be patient instead of needing 'faster' apps, that just make everything a hell of a lot slower because of all the problems you then get.

Now Stacks if messed up too... What a load of horse crap.

10. mydan99 macrumors newbie

Rock is AMAZING!

Been using Cydia since is JB'd my iPhone, but then i updated applocket and it stopped working. I did a clean restore and decided to use Rock as i heard it would be faster and cleaner. It lives up to its name and it really does rock. I also love the feature that lets you back up your apps so you can restore your JBroken apps when you've done a restore, with most settings stored in the backup. It's simply amazing! =]

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Rock does not support the Cydia Store at all. You have to purchase and download paid apps through Cydia. Rock has its own store with far fewer apps.

Rock uses proprietary extensions (as opposed to MobileSubstrate) and does not use apt for package management. I much prefer to use tested and open solutions like apt/Cydia/MobileSubstrate to proprietary installers. And Rock did mess up my phone once. I would avoid Rock altogether.

12. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Amen, and amen.

I don't understand the love for Rock that some espouse. Isn't it a direct descendant of Icy which is in turn descended from Installer v4? Plus it's made by the jokers who wrote Intelliscreen, I believe. Saurik has publicly berated them on many occasions for their unstable, bloated code.

Although I was pretty sure that as of Icy this line of installers did start using APT (which is why having both Icy and Cydia on the same phone simultaneously is generally a bad idea). Maybe it's just that it uses .DEB packages, but doesn't use APT to track installs/dependencies, and I've simply conflated the two?

-- Nathan

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They forked apt and turned it into a buggy proprietary installer. And I'm not even sure they use it for their own apps, just for community sources. They also forked Mobile Substrate, and their "Rock Extensions" often conflict with MS. Generally best just to leave it alone.

14. mofolo macrumors newbie

Cydia is a much more reliable package..

I would recommend it. Regardless of it's lack of speed.