Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Reception on iPhone 4, death grip issue aside (not an issue with a case and I use a case so meh), in the back of a restaurant which has happened twice now I have significantly lower bars than a friend of family member's 3GS on 3.1.3. I'm just wondering is this part of that algorithm bug or iPhone 4 just not as good at grabbing a signal in a flakier area? What has been your experience?

For example, 4 bars on 3GS solid gets me like 2-4 bars on iPhone 4 (no death grip issue, just watching it do its thing), went to edge with one bar then searching then came back to 3G signal. I mean I wasn't scrutinizing the 3GS as much but it seemed to hold a better signal. Could it also be because iOS 4/iPhone 4 in order to drop less calls looks for the less used (and less traffic) frequency which in that case might have been the flakier one?

I dunno, your thoughts? I love my iPhone 4 and I'm not convinced it's something worth replacing to get a phone with maybe 4.0.1. Holding off on updating because I want an unlock so I can use my phone in Europe in a month and a half.

BoleCailey

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Rumor has it they are waiting to release the jailbreak and unlock until 4.1, I think you are safe to upgrade. As far as the signal thing goes, I would just not worry about the bars as long as the phone works. I have never paid them much attention and never had any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.