Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
My iPhone 3G was JB'd and I was happy. Then it crapped the bed. I couldn't get it back and running after all kinds of attempts. So I had to install 3.1.3.

I downloaded and I'm trying to run "redsn0w-mac_0.9.3". It keeps getting stuck at the reboot window. What can I do? Ideas?

Thanks!

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
You have to jailbreak 1st, then install Cydia, then use Cydia to get Fuzzyband.

I was previously JB with blackrain. Had both Rock and Cydia on the phone.

When I check the "Modem Firmware" in About, it says:

Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do to JB? :confused:

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
There is no unlock for that baseband.

If your phone is a 3G, you can downgrade, jailbreak and try Fuzzyband to downgrade your baseband.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/861221/

dhlizard,
Thank you for the reply. I'm a little confused. I do have a 3G - bought the same day it went on sale.

Am I correct? In order to JB, I need fuzzyband. But isn't fuzzyband only available on Cydia? If so, how can I get it since I am presently with no JB.

When I try redsnow now and select 3.1.2, it hangs up in DFU mode, stuck at "Waiting For Reboot".

Thanks!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
dhlizard,
Thank you for the reply. I'm a little confused. I do have a 3G - bought the same day it went on sale.

Am I correct? In order to JB, I need fuzzyband. But isn't fuzzyband only available on Cydia? If so, how can I get it since I am presently with no JB.

Thanks!

No, FuzzyBand is a baseband downgrade tool.

As I said, jailbreak first, then try FuzzyBand.

If your 3G was purchased at release, it "should" have bootloader 5.08 and FuzzyBand should work.

If FuzzyBand works, then you can also unlock if needed.

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
When it gets stuck, try unplugging it for 2 seconds, then plugging it back in, see if that helps

Yea I saw that idea, tried it 3 times, nothing.

When I go thru the holding of the buttons, the last step, it doesn't take the whole 30 seconds and then I get the "waiting for reboot". I'm not sure if I should continue to hold the home button or let go.

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
3G
OS 3.1.3
Baseband 05.12.01

So basically I'm screwed until there's a way for me to change the baseband from 05.12.01 ? :mad:

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
3G

So basically I'm screwed until there's a way for me to change the baseband from 05.12.01 ? :mad:

omg, as dhlizard said...it's called fuzzyband and you must install it see if it works.
I understand you are having problems JBing but this is nothing to do with the baseband or unlocking

EDIT: do you need the unlock? you haven't mentioned it apart from some confusion about needing fuzzyband to JB

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
omg, as dhlizard said...it's called fuzzyband and you must install it see if it works.
I understand you are having problems JBing but this is nothing to do with the baseband or unlocking

EDIT: do you need the unlock? you haven't mentioned it apart from some confusion about needing fuzzyband to JB

Chill. I didn't see dhlizard's post. But he said to jailbreak first. THAT is my problem. I can't JB because I keep getting stuck at the (redsnow install) reboot. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but what am I missing?

And I would like to unlock (and get tethering back) but if I can't, oh well. I'm on USA AT&T.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but what am I missing?

i have no idea. Jail breaking is remarkably user friendly nower days and all the updated guides that exist on this site are totally accurate.

And I would like to unlock (and get tethering back) but if I can't, oh well. I'm on USA AT&T.

If you are on AT&T and there are tethering tools available through cydia why do you need to unlock?

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
i have no idea. Jail breaking is remarkably user friendly nower days and all the updated guides that exist on this site are totally accurate.

If you are on AT&T and there are tethering tools available through cydia why do you need to unlock?

All I know to do is use redsnow 0.9.3 to JB. When I do, it hangs at the reboot. So I don't know what to do to fix/work around it. I don't care about unlock.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you have access to a PC, there is a new tool called "f0recast-1.0.2" which supposedly will tell you your bootloader but I don't know if you must be jailbroken to use it or not.

It runs from the PC and doesn't make any changes to your phone as I understand it. I have downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. I will run it this morning from my PC and see if it works.

http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/f0recast.snow

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
If you have access to a PC, there is a new tool called "f0recast-1.0.2" which supposedly will tell you your bootloader but I don't know if you must be jailbroken to use it or not.

It runs from the PC and doesn't make any changes to your phone as I understand it. I have downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. I will run it this morning from my PC and see if it works.

Excellent. I'll take a look at this later today. Thank you! :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Well i tried this a while ago on my PC and guess what ???? :confused: Just a blank display, no values !

That's what I get for trying those tools. :(

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
you should try to know a little more, especially if what you 'know' isn't working.

wow.

Look, I have what knowledge I have thusfar in learning how to get this phone JB'd again. Sorry If I don't know what you do about this subject. I'm trying to find and pickup what I can. Instead of bashing someone or making smart comments, maybe your comment should be to NOT comment, or reply with something that will help that person. If I missed it, oh well, I missed it. But I've been reading everything I can to find a solution.

agtprvctr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Underground I had the same problem as you when I tried to JB my friend's 3G, it was 2am during the work week and I was ready to give up until I realized I was using a 3GS IPSW for redsn0w! I guess I got so used to JB'ing my own 3GS it just became habit, anyway just make sure you're not making the same mistake as me ;) I was ready to shoot myself to help rid the world of stupidity.

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Underground I had the same problem as you when I tried to JB my friend's 3G, it was 2am during the work week and I was ready to give up until I realized I was using a 3GS IPSW for redsn0w! I guess I got so used to JB'ing my own 3GS it just became habit, anyway just make sure you're not making the same mistake as me ;) I was ready to shoot myself to help rid the world of stupidity.

Thanks agtprvctr. I'll check when I get home.

undergroundHACK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
There is hope at last!

I think you are on to something. I just checked the ipsw and it's:
iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

A buddy gave me the ipsw I have, it appears to be for the 2G. DOH! :eek:

This link helped:
http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/10/jailbreak-and-unlock-iphone-3-1-2.html

Once I get home, I'll take another crack at this mutha. Thank you for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.