3.1.3 to OS 5. Need Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Animal72001, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Animal72001 macrumors newbie

I haven't jailbroken my phone or upgraded my phone for over a year. I am still currently on 3.1.3. So I was wondering how can I go about getting OS 5 and also jailbreaking it.

If you could post up a video or an explanation I would really appreciate it.

Also the main reason why I didn't upgrade was because I don't want to lose my notes/calendar/contacts/and jailbroken apps. Is there a way I can save these before I upgrade?

Thank You

2. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Iclarified has tutorials and video's also google works really well. ;)Keep in mind it will be a tethered jb unless you have a old boot 3gs.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Also, you might want to use Redsn0w to build customs firmware to upgrade it so you can keep its old baseband (I believe it is whether 05.12 or 05.13 baseband on 3.1.3)

This is valuable because you can sell it at a later time than having a 05.16 baseband whether Ultrasn0w can't unlock it.

5. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check if I have an old boot?

I have 5.12.

How can I update it to the latest update that is jailbreakable untethered?

Which update would that be?

Also how can I save my notes and files because I know I will lose all that during the update/jailbreak.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

1. Download Idetector onto your computer, put your phone into DFU mode, run it and it will tell you whether your phone has old bootrom or new bootrom. If it has old bootrom, then you will have untethered jailbreak with OS5. Otherwise, it will be tethered jailbreak.

2. Sync & back up your phone with Itunes. Once you upgrade, jailbreak, then sync it back.

7. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Won't DFU mode restore my iphone?

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

DFU will not restore your phone. It needs you to either select restore or update before your phone is restored on itunes.

To get out of DFU hold down home button for ten seconds.

9. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I found out that it is the new bootrom.

I really need to update my phone since most apps I use aren't working for me because I need to at least be on OS 4.

I was trying to upgrade to OS 4.3 since that is the last untethered update. When I went on itunes though it's trying to get me to upgrade to OS 5. How can I change that to 4.3?

Thanks for all the help.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Do you have SHSH blobs save for your phone? if not, you can't upgrade to any firmware that Apple stops signing including 4.3 you indicated above.

11. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I go about knowing if I have SHSH blobs saved? My 3gs is jailbroken if that helps.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

There are 2 ways you can find this info out;

1. Open Cydia and look on top to see what SHSH blobs you have there.

2. Download tiny umbrella to your computer, hook your phone to your computer and run tiny umbrella, it will give you what SHSH blobs you have.

13. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cydia keeps giving me an error. I take it I don't have any saved.

Is there any harm in uploading to the 5.0 and just waiting til the untethered JB comes out?

My phone keeps crashing on me and many of the apps don't work due to the 3.1.3 so I would guess it would only help by upgrading.

Is there any harm in upgrading even if it doesnt mean I would have to wait a bit for an untethered jailbreak?

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can go to 4.1 without having blob.

15. Animal72001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you link me to where I can download 4.1 and jailbreaking it?

Thanks Again for your help.

16. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can google search 3gs 4.1 fw and download it onto your PC. once you're done with it, restore to that firmware, then follow the following link to jailbreak it.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12133

Note. If you depend on unlock, please do not do this because when you update your phone to 4.1 fw, the baseband will also upgrade to 05.14 which ultrasn0w can't unlock it.

17. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

labman already answered you. What's so difficult to go on iclarified and do some readings?