3.1.3 VS 4.2.1 - iPod Touch 2G 8GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 999blb, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 999blb macrumors member

Which one would be better? I know that 3.1.3 is better with performance, but 4.2.1 has more of an app selection. I'm not sure which to put on it. I do have blobs to go back to 3.1.3 if I don't like 4.2.1, and I have blobs in between these two iOS's (like 4.0, 4.0.2, 4.1,) so if one of those would be better also, I could do that, too. I'm just wondering what would be better in the long run since it's an older model.

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Non-4.2.1 versions of iOS 4 are slower on the A1 and A2 generation devices. I have 4.2.1 on my 2G. It gets much better battery life, weeks more of standby. And when properly configured and cleaned up, it can be faster than iOS 3.1.3.

3. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

How could I go about "cleaning it up", Intell? Getting rid of LaunchDameons? Is there any specific ones when deleted that would speed up the device?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's only a few launch daemons you that matter that you can get rid of. The rest are just a placebo. That's one way of cleaning it up.

5. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Set the settings correctly using values that can't be set via the Settings app. And slim down the binaries to be ARMv7 only.

7. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

How would I go around to doing that? Sorry, I have an idea what I'm doing, but I've never done something like that before.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Manually edit the preference plists and use the lipo command on a Mac. But you need to use extreme caution with the lipo command. Using it incorrectly can cause major problems.