3.1.3 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trssho, Feb 2, 2010.

1. trssho macrumors 6502

Who wants to test blackra1n with this update??

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

We already know it won't work. Apple's own release notes for this update say that they patched the USB control message overflow bug that both blackra1n and redsn0w 0.9.x exploit in order to accomplish their jailbreaks.

A new exploit will have to be found for 3GS (untethered AND tethered models) and iPod Touch 3G (tethered). In the meantime, for iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch 1G, Dev Team will surely release an updated version of PwnageTool for OS 3.1.3 which will be able to jailbreak these models using the tried-and-true Pwnage "DFU" vulnerability, and which will probably also support 24kpwn jailbreaking on 3.1.3 for iPod Touch 2G.

-- Nathan

3. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

The cat/mouse game continues....

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Blackra1n does not work on 3.1.3. Someone on the Dev-Team blog said that Redsn0w does if you point to the previous 3.1.2 ipsw, but Musclenerd hasn't confirmed yet, so I would wait. Also be warned that there is a new baseband update which blacksn0w will NOT unlock.

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Dont do a SINGLE THING until the iPhone dev twitter / blog says so.

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Looks like the iPhone JB days are coming to an end if you want the latest and greatest software, however if you are like me and happy with 3.1.2 you can stay with what you have :D

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Not really and this isnt even a big update. It will only matter when devs start making 3.1.3 apps.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple snuck in a baseband update with the bug fixes :cool:

9. eshroom macrumors 6502

I would be inclined to agree with wicked.

No more USB exploit = worries for new iBoot 3GS owners.

Are the Dev-Team really going to put much work into finding a new exploit each time a new firmware update comes out, when they can just use the "tried-and-true pwnage "DFU" vulnerability" for everyone who's not on the new iBoot?

10. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

For some reason I think Apple will find a way to close down jailbreaking permanently with the 4.0 OS and the actual 4th gen Iphone.

11. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

jailbreaking will continue as normal. Every time a new firmware comes out this same exact conversation happens. :)

12. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I'm new so I don't know how this goes. Only time will tell.

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

And if they continue to leave out basic functionality in 4.0 like they have in the past, I will be moving to Android. I'm hoping that 4.0 eliminates the need for jailbreaking.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's theoretically impossible to prevent jailbreaking. If it possible to install Apple OS updates, then it's theoretically possible to install unofficial ones too (by making your updates look like Apple ones).

I'm not saying that it'll be easy, but it'll always be possible.

15. ejeezy87 macrumors newbie

same here!

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Too bad many won't know about this until it's too late. I've got to where I don't update anything from Apple until months later.

17. enberg macrumors regular

Eh, I'm sure apple primarily want's to stop jailbreaking, but still, patching overflow bugs is what they're supposed to do. Any such known bugs are pretty big security holes.

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

This new update looks pretty worthless anyways. Nothing special going on.

19. AFRet macrumors newbie

As with ANY computer security system, anything that one code developer can come up with in terms of security, another hacker can find a way to undo. Give it time...

20. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

George Hotz already claims to have found a hardware exploit in the next iPhone. How he knows this, I have no clue.

Unfortunately he made it clear on Twitter a few weeks ago that he was sick of the iPhone and it's user and was moving on. Apparently he found what he was looking for in the PS3.

We'll see if he comes to the rescue with 4.0...

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Geohot loves the spotlight, so...

if he does have a hardware exploit that doesn't get corrected in the new iPhone version, you can bet he'll emerge and play out his hand !

And for the record, I am not a Geohot hater, just stating the obvious.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Geohot may be an arrogant attention-whore, but he's never given me any reason to doubt that he can do exactly what he claims he can. It sounds to me from his hints that he has a really low-level hack. Time will tell, of course, but I certainly wouldn't bet against they guy who pwned the PS3...

23. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

I'd rather wait for the dev team to do it right than for Geohot to do it first. Nothing but problems with blackra1n that immediately went away when I rejailbroke using redsn0w.

24. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Really? It's definitely case by case because I've been jailbroken with blackra1n since the day it was released and haven't had a single issue. Not to mention it was the quickest and easiest to date.

25. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Nothing except for removing the chroot jail from the software and doing away with the requirement for your apps to be cryptographically signed by Apple will eliminate the "need" for jailbreaking. As long as Apple dictates that there is only one sanctioned channel for sideloading third-party software onto the phone (the App Store), a need to jailbreak will exist.

I'm not going to use a device that has that kind of dumb restriction on it, no matter how advanced in its feature set it finally becomes.

-- Nathan