3.1 beta: New feature? Rewind/FF with the mic button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rorschach, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I've tested this on my phone with the 3.0.1 release and it does NOT do it, so I know it's unique to 3.1. I don't know if it's unique to the very latest beta. I've searched the forum and can't find anything about it mentioned so here goes:

You can rewind and fast forward using the mic clicker button on the headset.

Normally to advance to the next song, you Double-click the button. To fast forward, double-click and hold the button down on the second click.

To rewind, do the triple-click, and hold the button on the third click.

It definitely works and is not a bug. If you have 3.1, try it out.

I've Googled, searched the forums, and can't find it mentioned anywhere.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yep just tried it - very cool (and yes it's on 3.1 and not on 3.0 - I have both).

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

4. danwms macrumors member

They need a voice command which will read out the time to you.

5. blackberry8100 macrumors newbie

6. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

3rd gen shuffle works like this.

It was released before iphone os 3.0. Wonder why they didnt include the feature till now?

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I was trying to get this to work on 3.0 a while ago, but holding down the clicker just activates voice recognition.

This is a step forward! :)

As a sidenote, one feature I like (don't know how long it's been there) is that the iPhone seems to recognise different headphones and adjusts the starting volume to match the volume last time they were used. Handy for my in-car jack as I need it at full volume and my iPhone headphones only at half...

Not really experimented, but I guess it only remembers two settings - one for the official headphones and one for everything else.

8. TomxHow macrumors member

9. actorkid macrumors 6502

thank you for figuring this out...i've been waiting for this functionality ever since i bought my apple in ear headphones in november

10. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I agree with you taht this doesn't work in 3.0 but it used to work for me in 2.2.1.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That's a really nice feature. Does this only work with the Apple headset or all headsets? I have a Nufonics set, but it has the same controls as the Apple one.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yes! I can't even estimate the amount of times I've wanted to open voice control via the headset and just say "Time" or "What time is it?"

13. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

100 percent agree..I listen to music while on my bike..and never know what time it is... I catch myself wanting to hold down the button and say WHAT TIME IS IT??

also wouldnt the fast forward rewind thing be best if you could just hold down the volume buttons up or down...

I only turn up the volume anyways by clicking a few clicks not by holding it down..

14. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Totally agreed. I was just thinking about that while on the bus this morning. With this huge guy sitting next to me, I had to try hard to get my iPhone out of my pocket just to know what time it was! :mad:

To OP, I appreciate your information, too! :)

15. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

nice addiiton, like my walkman's controller in 1999

16. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Are we talking about moving from the next track or going back to the previous?

17. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Back in the 1990s, we had these things that we would wear when we went jogging... I think they were called "wrist watches," and I think you can still buy them. ;)

18. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

No - it scrubs forward and backwards with audio - like fast forwarding a TV show while watching it or while listening to audio.