3,1 -- GPU issues? (GTX 750ti)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by neshmonster, Feb 2, 2015.

1. neshmonster macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, newcomer here. I've recently started upgrading my Mac Pro 3,1 and installed a new SSD in a PCIe slot. I also thought I'd upgrade the GPU from the old NVDIA 8800 to the GTX 750 Ti.

I thought that since this was such a huge upgrade, I'd see a a huge performance boost. In reality, everything is pretty much the same—and I have no idea why.

Running a simple game like WoW on "Good" renders around 25 FPS. Open GL benchmark on Cinebench is 34 FPS. Not sure if this is a driver issue, a motherboard issue, or what-- but I was hoping someone out there more familiar with 2008 Mac Pro's could give me a hand. Maybe it's totally normal, and I just needlessly "upgraded" GPU's!

Thanks for any help :)

Mac Pro, Early 2008
    2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2047 MB

2. Kaspin macrumors member

Kaspin

Make sure you have the nvidia web drivers installed as well as the cuda drivers.

Also keep in mind WoW isn't so simple (more so after the recent engine updates) when it comes to the mac client. The game engine is optimized for Directx. And while I appreciate that I can log in and tend to my garrison in mac os, if I'm going to be playing for a while, I'll be booting into windows (BootCamp) where performance is significantly better even though it's the same hardware.