3.1 i5 vs 3.3 i7 battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by troyce1, May 26, 2017.

1. troyce1 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 13" Macbook Pro with 3.3 i7 & 16gb of Ram.
    I feel like the battery life has been worse than my previous macbook a ealry 2015 3.1 i7 w/16gb ram.

I have been getting around 7 hours average on my battery, with some instances where it was even lower. Whereas when my old MBP was new I was probably getting well over 10 hours.

Is this normal? I am debating on returning it and getting a 3.1 i5 as I have read a few things saying the 3.3 i7 causes shorter battery life. I only got the 3.3 i7 because none of the Apple stores carried the 3.1 i5 in stock.

Any input you guys have would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Return it while you are in the period - Wait for WWDC if you can - Buy Again.

I am on the same boat as you are and waiting for the possible updates from WWDC.

3. troyce1 thread starter macrumors newbie

My old laptop got damaged and I need a new one for work. I just saw the WWDC starts on June 5th.

How long after the WWDC will the new macbooks be available? Not sure if I can stretch out using my wifes MBP that long

4. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Well, it seems like you have yo bite the bullet on this one.

You can go ahead and purchase the one that you want and use it for 14 days, return it and get the latest one frresh from WWDC.

If not mistaken, the base models should be around the stores within a week or two and custom build ones can take up 4-6 weeks as usual.

The nice thing is that Mac's are not like iPhones that are hard to find or sleep in front of the store kind. They, of course will be grab in the first day but not impossible.

From my perspective, they have sold a lot over this quarter and the last one on 2016 and fed the upgrade hungry crowd which the majority wont be upgrading. So, we don't have the majority of the people for long overdue upgrade waiting to get it. This one will be more specific.

5. cynics macrumors G4

What needs to be compared is the performance per watt. A CPU that uses more power doesn't matter too much if its capable of completing task faster and returning to its idle state.

Between those two CPU's the newer one does have a higher performance per watt. Everything else is similar enough to be negated. In real world use they are mostly indistinguishable or at least should be.

I believe other factors are accounting for reduced battery life in newer models that are there regardless of CPU option chosen. I definitely don't believe you'll see a worthwhile difference going from an i7 6567U to an i5 6287U given all other variables are equal when it comes to battery life. I also don't think you'd notice a difference in performance either so....