3,1 Mac Pro Ethernet Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kboller07, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kboller07 macrumors member

My 2008 Mac Pro is connected via ethernet and occasionally my internet connection stops working and the only way to resolve the issue is to restart it.

My Apple tv connects to my Mac Pro's iTunes library just fine and I can screen share with it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If your Apple TV can continue to connect to your Mac Pro, then it's not your ethernet port.

3. kboller07, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, Thanks. Restarting my Airport Base Station doesn't help and I can connect other computers to the ABS via ethernet that work just fine. Nothing short of restarting the Mac Pro seems to help.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If your computers can communicate with each other when you have your internet troubles, then the issue is not the ethernet.

When your Mac Pro has trouble connecting to the internet, do all other computers on the network also have trouble connecting to the internet?

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Just to confirm, is your MP connected via a Cat5 cable or is is connected via WiFi?

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

That was the very first sentence in the original post of this thread.

7. tamvly, Aug 1, 2013

tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

The MP has two Cat 5 ethernet interfaces. Have you tried switching between them?

Other thoughts: Have you tried swapping Cat5 cables? They've been known to fail. Have you swapped ports on the ABS?

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Check what is logged in Console when you'll lose connection, maybe you'll find something useful there.

9. djjclark macrumors regular

10. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

I have switched cat5 cables and even plugged it into the second Ethernet port but it still requires a restart.
    I can hook my MacBook to the ABS using the same cable and it works just fine.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

If it is the Internet connection that has issues why are you not troubleshooting that instead of your Mac Pro? A good place to start would be your cable/DSL modem and ISP.

12. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

I thought that if the internet works on my other macs it has to be the Mac Pro.

I haven't had any trouble with my other two. One of which is also connected by Ethernet. They work perfectly all the time.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Have you tried giving your Mac Pro a static IP?

14. tamvly, Aug 1, 2013

tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

OK, so when you say the "internet connection stops working" what exactly are you doing? Browsing? Mail? Some other program that accesses the net somewhere. I'm going to guess you are using a browser.

Since the connection between your AppleTV and you Mac still works, the ethernet services and hardware are still functioning on your MP.

If what you describe is happening with the browser, tried terminating it and restarting it. Or use a different browser and see what happens.

Try a ping to a known address such as the Google public DNS server at 8.8.8.8 using Terminal. I'll bet it works.

As djjclark mentions, this sounds suspiciously like a DNS problem. Try changing the DNS on your system to use the OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 , 208.67.220.220). Some ISPs have crappy DNS servers.

15. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

Browsing, mail, dropbox. I tried both Chrome and Safari and neither worked.
    Thanks, I will try changing the DNS.

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

You kind of left that part out. Since every one else on the Internet is not psychic is it always best to provide as much information that you can about your problem rather than the least amount of information so that you can get the best help possible.

17. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

My second post does say that but I'm sorry, I should have edited my original post to reflect that.

18. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

No worries. Just keep trying. Curious if you have tried to ping from the MP.

19. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

Pinging doesn't work. It works on the other ethernet connected and wifi connected computers.

It says ping: cannot resolve google.com: unknown host

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Have you tried giving your Mac Pro a static IP?