3.1 to prevent/detect jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simgar988, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

is there any chance that 3.1 will be able to detect a previously jail broken phone?

From what I understand, if you do a DFU restore, there is no possible way of telling that a phone had been jailbroken? Is that just for now and Apple is working on a way to detect, or is that pretty much a permanent thing.

Thanks guys, I'm just worried about JBing my new 3gs

2. jsook724 macrumors regular

if you restore, apple can NEVER detect if you jailbroke it

but i'd do a DFU restore just to be sure

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Doubt it

apple doesn't agree or like JB but they also know it has benefits such as JB unlocking allows the iphone to be sold to another carrier. forget the fact some don't like at&t that is true with any cell service. lets say my work requires me to have a T-mobile acct well there goes the iphone unless it's unlocked. the trick is when 3.1 comes out not to upgrade right away too see what the Dev team can do fight the urge to upgrade. but you can restore and unjailbreak a phone at anytime. and to date the Dev team has not failed us yet just fallow there instructions read the tutorials. it's really not hard. ;) oh btw I took a unlocked phone too apple it didn't know it was a big crime they simply told me to restore from Itunes and come back I was back 2 days latter had np.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Actually, they can - and I don't think even a DFU would prevent it: all they have to do is check your crash logs. Ever gone into safe mode? Has Cydia ever hung? Then it's in there ... ;)

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

If you deleted all the logs prior to restoring then they couldn't detect it. I also dont see why a restore wouldn't remove these logs in the first place.
    Can someone confirm?

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Jailbreaking on a restore is 100% reversable... The key is after you restore your phone do not, I repeat do not! Restore from a backup.. All though when you do it's still not jailbroken it just has some of the jailbroken files n the backup... Other than that... A restore is all you need

7. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I hope you guys are right about them not being able to tell I've JB'ed

I just sent my phone back to apple through the advanced replacement program.

8. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

He is right. I have jailbroken, restored in DFU and then checked the crashlogs with XCode and sure enough. . . jailbroken app crash reports. I'd make sure to delete those as well before taking a phone in.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm pretty sure the crash logs get transfered to your hard drive and that's why you can read them. When you do a DFU restore, EVERYTHING is removed. It wipes the iPhone completely.

There's NO way they can tell if you restore and do not revert to a backup.

10. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Is restoring from recovery mode just as good in regards to apple not being able to know you JB'ed your iPhone?