3.2.3 Alarm Bug? - not always vibrating

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sean000, Jul 27, 2017.

1. sean000, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Since I updated my watch to 3.2.3 I have missed a few alarms. I wear my watch to bed to track my sleep, and I set the alarm using the native alarm app on the watch. It's an alarm set to recur every weekday morning at 6am.

On a typical morning the watch vibrates at 6:00 am and presents me with two choices: STOP or SNOOZE. The watch will continue to vibrate until I tap one of those buttons.

Sometimes, and this has happened on rare occasions even before the latest update, it will not vibrate. I will wake up, look at my watch, and see the options to STOP or SNOOZE, but the watch isn't vibrating at all. This happened the morning after I updated, so I restarted both the watch and the iPhone. All was fine the next morning. Then the morning after that it happened again. In all I think it has happened 3 or 4 times since I updated. Fortunately I have woken up on my own with enough time to make it work, but obviously I would like to resolve this so I can trust my alarm.

My next step will be to delete the recurring alarm and create a new one. For now I'm also using a third party alarm to wake me up 15 minutes after my primary alarm should... just in case.

Since the update I believe I have also noticed notifications that should have caused the haptics to tap/vibrate, but I don't recall feeling anything... so this might be a problem with haptics rather than any one single app. I'm inclined to think it's software since it seems like I've been noticing these problems since the update. That said, this was just a security update so I would surprised that it would introduce any bugs like this.

Sean

2. sean000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sean000

So this morning I had the issue again. Woke up to find my Alarm displaying the options to STOP or SNOOZE, but there was no haptic feedback/vibration. So I set a timer for a minute, and that too failed to vibrate the watch. I did a hard restart (pressing and holding both buttons) and after the watch restarted the alarm and timer apps both triggered haptic vibrations.

I'm hoping the hard reset will return things to more reliable performance. If not, then maybe I will try unpair/re-pair next.

Although I have experienced this issue in the past, they were isolated incidents that would not repeat for months. Only since this latest update has this been such a frequently recurring issue for me.

Sean

3. sean000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sean000

Just to follow-up in case anyone else encounters this problem. It has been 4 days since I did a reset by holding both buttons until the watch restarted. So far so good, so perhaps that was what was needed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will go back to being a rare isolated incident type of thing.

Sean