Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trojanvillage

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
Toronto

I wouldn't be surprised if "iPhone OS 3.2" is just a temporary title. There are a lot of iPad-only features and design paradigms that cannot be translated into the iPhone or iPod Touch. iPhone will never run "3.2" as it stands. For instance, Popovers and Split Views. These require the large screen real-estate of the iPad, not because of pixels, but the size of our fingers. Most likely, we will have a rebranding of the OS. "iOS" makes sense but continuing to call it "iPhone OS" would be like Apple still calling themselves "Apple Computers Inc". It's outdated.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I wouldn't be surprised if "iPhone OS 3.2" is just a temporary title. There are a lot of iPad-only features and design paradigms that cannot be translated into the iPhone or iPod Touch. iPhone will never run "3.2" as it stands. For instance, Popovers and Split Views. These require the large screen real-estate of the iPad, not because of pixels, but the size of our fingers. Most likely, we will have a rebranding of the OS. "iOS" makes sense but continuing to call it "iPhone OS" would be like Apple still calling themselves "Apple Computers Inc". It's outdated.

I like OS X Mobile more than iOS(I think Cisco owns that trademark anyway)/

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
California
im hoping there isnt because the jailbreak for the current one is still underway

Dude, have you done any research? I'm not dissing you, but geohot and the Dev Team both said that they wouldn't be releasing jailbreak/unlock because 3.1.3 was to flush out all the jailbreaks and unlocks. Sure, they found exploits and crashes, but I doubt they'll ever release it. Even if they do, it'll be too late.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
If there is anything from 3.2 that will appear on the iPhone, it probably won't be added until OS 4.0.

trojanvillage

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
You've gotta be kidding me. That is so lame. Can't they take out the iPad features and import what can be on the iPod Touch/iPhone imported? :(

Because the major changes are the iPad-specific UI changes, which require a larger screen, period, and changes to documents and text. That's it. What features are you expecting for iPhone OS 3.2 if it ever makes it onto an actual iPhone? It will may include text support features but i HIGHLY doubt it. You'll have to wait for 4.0.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
one of the main things i want for my touch is the wallpaper on the home and lock screen like the ipad has for home and lock screens

YsOuucK

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
one of the main things i want for my touch is the wallpaper on the home and lock screen like the ipad has for home and lock screens

same here. just makes it more personalized, rather than just another ipod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.