3.3 Gigs of "Other"????

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dapitts08, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dapitts08 macrumors regular

So I am trying to figure out what is comprising this "other" category and how to delete some of this to give me some more storage.

Any idea what goes into this "other" category?

2. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Good luck. I've had the same issue but it resolved itself over time. For me, it was a bunch of videos that didn't transfer cleanly.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

4. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

yes.

yep it is jailbroken

----------

i'll let you know if i come across the solution....lol

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

download iwipe in cydia. that helps.

to get rid of it completely, you need to back up photos/contacts/sync your apps. icloud or itunes whatever. Use apt backup for your cydia backup of data.

restore the device, then once it restores set it up as a new device. That part is important, because if you select a backup it will put that other data back on. Its a pain having to do your settings again but this has always fixed it for me.

then jailbreak you device again.

the other is caused by corrupt installs/cached install files/language packages// videos// etc

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you've got ifile, check your /var/tmp folder, mine had almost 6 gigs of random garbage in it.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

also check

var/mobile/media/applicationarchives
    var/mobile/media/downloads
    var/spool/mdt
    var/mobile/ifile/trash
    var/mobile/library/logs look for a file called ilocalis.log, if its there delete it
    var/mobile/library/application/support/containers/ Look if there is anything big in there. (the blue button on the right will tell you how big the folder is among other information)

iwipe does all these for you

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Iwipe doesn't appear to be compatible with ios 5.1.1

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

it is. ive used it many of times on 5.1.1

10. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the recommendation for iWipe. How long does it take to run through everything?

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

The bigboss repo isnt letting me download it though. "Your iOS version isn't compatible", what repo would you suggest I use?

12. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i can send it to you

PM me

14. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

i haven't gone through all of the links yet but the one above has an archive of fifa 2012 which is 1.3GB by itself. Half of my issue....lol....

So I can safely remove this and still use the game?

Interesting, I have iWipe and it didn't clean it. I used it yesterday when I noticed the issue and it only remove a few MB.

15. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Try iCleaner from Cydia. It's similar to iWipe.

16. Kaiser99 macrumors member

Op do you have any comics on your IPad? I think these ae shown as other instead of books. Might be part of your problem. Just a thought

17. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Yeah, true. Some apps store their data as "Other". I remember having one app do that, might've been Goodreader, but I'm not sure.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Awesome, I read about it on redmondpie a while back and couldn't remember the name
    Of it. Thanks

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Sometimes with Jailbreak the other value will get messed up and there is only two ways to remedy it.

1. While the device is plugged in press and hold the home button and then the sleep/wake to do a hard reboot. Re-sync and sometimes it resets the value.

2. Uncheck something that has a high value like a music playlist or film. Then re/check and re-sync. Each time I've used these methods it's successfully reset the value.

You can clean out your mail, messages as well which will count as other. You can also try this directory which hasn't been mentioned.

Var/Cache/Apt/Archive/Partial

These are failed downloads which can accumulate and they can all be deleted from this folder.