3.33Ghz Duo or 2.8Ghz Quad i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anxo, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Anxo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am having trouble deciding between these two CPU's, both of them overall come to the same price with the different options I have selected BUT I do not really want to wait another 3-4 weeks to order it because the quad cores do not ship until november, so the question is will I really see a difference between these two CPU's?

Both the iMacs I plan on buying will have the 4850 and 8GB of RAM.

Which one will I likely get the best game performance from?

Should I just wait for the i7 instead of rushing forward?

So what do you guys think?

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'd wait. The quad will be faster. Almost as powerful as the mac pro. When the quads come out in November you be cursing your impatience.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Do the apps you're wanting to use it on support multi-processors? Do you think you will need such apps in the future?

Assuming more people write code to support multiple processors, the quad could be a little more-and I hesitate to say it-future proof.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Just did some research after posting, the 2.8 i7 when not using all 4 cores, will run at a clock speed of 3.4.

5. Fiete5401 macrumors regular

I don't think it's a decision between the C2D 3.33 GHz and the Ci7 2.8 GHz.
    If you have the extra money go pick up the i7. This chip is way supirior.
    In my case it's more like deciding between the C2D 3.06, C2D 3.33 and the Ci5 2.66. I think the i5 would be more future proof than the C2Ds. But do I really need that extra power? Sure, it all depends on what you gonna do with your Mac. This baby will sit 3-4 years on my desk so spending more money now will probably prolong the life of this machine another year.
    Right now I'm thinking of the i5 and will expand the memory on my own to 8 gigs.

6. Anxo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I can imagine that I will be angry at myself, I'm just really itchy to get a iMac now since first I had to wait for the updates and now I have to wait even longer for them to be released, hopefully they will be released in early November though which will make the wait easier.

Ah yeah, the whole reason I am really buying a iMac is to settle down for a while with a single desktop without feeling I need to upgrade or replace the current one I have. But yet again before the updates on the iMac I was more than happy to get the high end iMac that was there so I guess with whatever I buy I should be happy :)

Also if I got the C2D I would just be getting it because I'm impatient and would probably feel I made a mistake...

7. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

doesnt SL also support multi cores a lot better now?

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

9. JCP21 macrumors member

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

11. smokestack macrumors member

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Core i5 750 is 90% of the Core i7 920 and the i7 860 is faster.

So it's faster than the single socket base Mac Pro. You get a nice monitor too. :p

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It really depends on what you wanna do with the machine. However some people like running the latest toys.