3-4 hours to download updates ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rm2092, Jun 20, 2010.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Ok this is not for me but for mu buddy, I have 3 mac computers and love everyone of them so this week I talk my buddy into buying a new 27" iMac $1699.00 and dump his old crappy windows laptop. We get back to his house set it up got online and the internet seemed a bit slow meanwhile he is like my pc was faster then this ok so right away i guess it needed to do some software updates from being boxed up for a while. There were 12 updates that needed to be downloaded and it the download would bounce back and forth from 3 to 4 hours, WTF he says. For internet he has AT&T DSL Light for $19.99, please tell me thats its his cheap internet service and not the new shinny iMac I talked him into buying. Thanks for me and him.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How fast is his internet connection? Do SpeedTest and tell us the results (stop all downloads when doing this)

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Is it this one? If so, no wonder it'll take so long. It's the internet connection. :) I don't think we can even buy a connection that slow in the UK anymore.

4. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

I think it is Ill check with him latter today, I hope its his crappy internet.

5. archipellago macrumors 65816

but if his Win7 pc was quicker on the same connection what does that say?

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Heres what i know. I have the SAME problem. It takes about 67 minutes to download 130 MB. But I'm using software updater. I'm downloading the new iTunes update and 10.6.4! My internet isn't the issue, neither is my MacBook Pro. Its a problem on Apple's end. I can download large files and small files qucikly, but downloading updates through software updater is slow. 135MB of 761.1MB estimated time is now 2 hours. It takes about 1.5 hours to download 1GB, and 10 minutes to download 100MB, so software updater is very slow, probably due to Apple's Servers. I can download other files as fast as I normaly can on my Macintosh or any windows computer. But even on my Windows system, Apple software updater is downloading things very slow.

Its not my internet connection. its not my computer(s). So it must be Apple's problem

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try downloading directly from Apple's site, could be an issue with the Software Updater app

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I take it back. My download speed is 67 KB a second wired connection. With the same wired connection (same cable) on a windows machine, its the regular 386 KB second.

Now its downloading 1 MB per 3 seconds. So in 3 seconds it downloads 1 megabyte.