3-4 Week Dispatch 'Estimate' to create hype?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adidas Addict, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

As per title, I think Apple may be using the 'estimate' dispatch time tags on the RetMBP to create a bit of hype and panic people into ordering maybe?

I would bet most people will receive their RetMBP before the 'estimated' timeframe.

2. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

According to the customer service rep I spoke with yesterday when I upgraded to expedited shipping, the estimates are entirely computer-generated and they aim to have the MacBooks out to customers sooner than the estimate. It makes sense; the system could, for instance, automatically increase the estimated shipping time after a certain number of orders go through.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt it. If Apple wants hype, they announce a date in the near future when they will be available and give people time to get excited (like they do for iPad and iPhone launches).

They don't want to turn customers away by displaying longer shipping times and lower stock levels than they really have. If Apple could give everyone who walked into an Apple Store and asked for one a Retina Macbook Pro in exchange for $2200+ they would do it.

They might be under-promising and over-delivering with the order times, but I doubt it's to 'create hype'.

4. xalexx macrumors member

The Apple representative I spoke to yesterday informed me that the products will almost always arrive on the estimated dates.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Stores get priority over online sales. If store sales slow down, you'll see online orders ship faster. Everything is done by computers.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As evidenced by the order status thread, these are some of the hottest notebooks on the planet right now and are genuinely sold out.

7. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I do think Apple tends to inflate the estimates to be on the safe side...

That being said, I walked into a store today to "look" at the RMBPs. If a salesperson had one in stock, I probably would have caved and bought it. But since they were out of stock, I probably won't bother with buying one until the next 6 months or so.

Trust me, no one at Apple wants the situation I just described.

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

You're probably correct that the orders will ship sooner than estimated. Apple always likes to cover their butt this way. Their estimates are designed to give them a lot of wiggle room. Take in-store repairs as an example: they tell you it could take 2-3 days but they have the Mac back to you the next day.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yeah right. Apple doesn't want your money sooner so they have delayed shipping.

LOL!

10. Adidas Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Under promise, over deliver. Makes the customer feel good.

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I have a hard time believing that enough people bought a $3000 machine immediately after the store came online to warrant a 2-3 week wait. I'm expecting mine in 2 weeks or less.

12. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I kind of agree. Surely they'll have been building these laptops for at least a week or two in the run up to the announcement - my shipping estimate is 2-3 weeks also, so does that mean the laptop I'll be getting hasn't even been built yet?

Note I say I "kind of" agree just because I think I'm trying to talk myself into believing that it'll be here sooner. Maybe I'm completely wrong - I'm just hoping this wait isn't too long :eek:

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Maybe they didn't have as much supply as originally anticipated or are experiencing production delays

14. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

I guess it will get better in 2 weeks time. This always happens with Apple's new releases. I want to get one soon but waiting for more reviews...

15. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Excitement is rather dying down for me with the long wait times.

16. 88 King, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I'm beginning to found this a good thing, gives me time to consider my options between the new mbp, normal 15" mbp and Sony Vaio Z more objectively.

Still not sure between the high-res and lighter weight of the new mbp vs cheaper and dual ssd RAID 0 "high-res" normal mpb. The Vaio Z is a strange animal, it is like air with quad core CPU or extend battery capacity of 95Wh still weight less than 13" mbp.

17. Sheppard macrumors member

Twiddling my thumbs..

My shipping is 3-4 weeks :(
    After two trips to the local store and no RMBP's, had to order online.
    Have these 'inflated' delivery times happened before with previous products??
    My 4S arrived on the suggested delivery date last year..

18. XFactorer macrumors regular

When my iPad was coming to me, it was estimated (by FedEx) to arrive on a certain date (which mirrors the estimate Apple set). It got here, and was going to sit in a shipping container at my local FedEx until the estimated date for delivery... I had to contact FedEx to have them ship my iPad the following business day. So, sometimes we do get things sooner than Apple's estimate.

#firstworldproblem