3.46GHz MacBook Pro still a possibility?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blondie :), Aug 14, 2010.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I was just thinking...maybe the 17" MBP could be the model with the 2.8GHz processor that could be boosted to 3.46GHz. My reasoning for this being that the machine is simply bigger. So I was thinking there might be a bit more space for stuff you know? Cause if there's going to be a processor with a 3.46GHz speed, it's going to have to be a quad core. Well, if you move stuff around in the 17" model, think you could find space for those two extra cores? Just a thought...

2. twilightrose macrumors member

The differences between a dual core and quad core isn't space dependent. Current mainstream processor fabrication processes is 45nm it has to do with heat and power draw. Until processors get energy efficient enough the chances of a quad core MBP are very slim. I'd expect it around the tme Ivy Bridge processors from Intel come out. Their goal fabrication process size then is 22nm which may give Apple their desired performance : battery life ratio they desire.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

SO the MacBook Pro's are not actually 4 cores? I thought that that is what i7 meant?

4. twilightrose macrumors member

No, the macbook pros are dual cores with hyper threading which is why it appears as 4 cores instead of 2. As for the i7 name, there are many different versions of the i7 in existance. Theres dual and quadcore mobile processors, and theres 2 different chipsets for the i7 on desktops, Lynnfield and Bloomfield which are quadcore processors, except the new i7-980 which is a 6-core processor.

5. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

i5 and i7 (in current macbook pros) have 2 physical cores and 2 virtual cores, so not a true "quad core".

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

All Intel processors in Apple laptops are Dual core. Straight from Apple's site:

Though, one thing I am looking forward to: (courtesy of Engadget.com)
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/14/leaked-intel-roadmap-details-sandy-bridge-cpus-expands-ssd-line/

3.5GHz Dual/Quad+ running on 35 watts of energy....

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Do the ones in the iMac have 4 real cores?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this^^

and the fact that the current quad core CPUs that are compatible in the MBPs are limited to ~2GHz due to thermal limitations and power draw.

i am confused to what CPU runs at 3.46GHz.

appleguy: yes, imacs have 4 true cores. i5 has 4 cores, i7 has 4 cores + 4 threads = 8 threads all up.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe he meant i7-640M which has max Turbo of 3.46GHz.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was thinking that - but TB doesnt exactly constitute anything useful.

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

Could be possible at a possible next update this year if it comes. But it's not worth the wait, won't offer much more speed over the current i7.

The MBP only has dual-core i7, not quad cores. Apple laptops have got poor cooling due to sacrificing thickness. The 2.8 ghz i7 is a dual-core cpu btw :p

Maybe with Sandy Bridge, it could be possible. 17 MBP is bigger so theoretically it could provide better cooling than the 15 MBP. So I can see the following happening maybe next year.

15 inch MBP: dual core i7 ( Sandy Bridge )
    17 inch MBP: quad core i7 ( Sandy Bridge )

12. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was actually hoping for a post kinda like this one. Do you have any idea an estimated time frame for them getting the 22nm processors goin? That most likely would give them what they needed as far as performance/battery life haha

13. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is the one I'm talking about haha. I didn't know exactly what one it was called, but I knew it'd be 3.46GHz with TB. I just wanted to know if anyone thought it would be possible to actually cool these things with a laptop haha

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it has the same TDP as i7-620M, 35W so it's possible but only very minor upgrade. 620M goes up to 3.33GHz so the gain would be 133MHz i.e. unnoticeable. That CPU ain't out yet either. Sandy Bridge is the way to go

15. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dude technology is ridiculous these days! 3.33GHz in a laptop? I mean really haha this thing has got to be a beast! And with 8GB of RAM and a SSD, you'd have you one hell of a machine right there lol