Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Is there anywhere that these can be found? I bought a IIGS off of eBay a year or so ago. I have a 3.5" drive but I don't have the GSOS disks. I found, then, a place to d/l the GSOS, but I don't have the necessary floppys. I only have one computer in the house that even has a floppy drive. An old 486 machine...

Or is there anywhere I could buy GSOS on the cheap?

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Is there anywhere that these can be found? I bought a IIGS off of eBay a year or so ago. I have a 3.5" drive but I don't have the GSOS disks. I found, then, a place to d/l the GSOS, but I don't have the necessary floppys. I only have one computer in the house that even has a floppy drive. An old 486 machine...

Or is there anywhere I could buy GSOS on the cheap?
Cheap... probably not so much. You can get blank disks at places like here:
http://www.floppydisk.com/buy.htm
http://retrofloppy.com/products.html

Syndicomm will sell you GSOS disks too:
http://store.syndicomm.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=48

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
8 bucks isn't too bad. I don't have 2MB of RAM nor a HDD, so it recommends 5.0.4. Thanks! I will have to order.

I own a rom 3 IIgs it has under 2mb ram a single 3.5" drive and a 5.25" drive.

what i did was use the GSOS 6.0.1 install disk 1 (downloaded it from Apples FTP) and run it like that (for now) and so far i havent found anything i could not run that requires GSOS.

i made the disk using my Performa 475, after that i installed shrinkit and other tools of the like and it all works great, but you will be doing a bit of disk swapping though. but i have learned to not let it bother me.

see you can remove the GSOS disk wile GSOS is running until it asks you that it needs it, you can just run everything from the launcher either installed to the GSOS disk or another disk that you have in the drive at the time.

but you can make a minimalistic GSOS 6.0.1 install using the disks you will be buying ( if you decide to do it that way) and just install it to a blank disk/s

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
I own a rom 3 IIgs it has under 2mb ram a single 3.5" drive and a 5.25" drive.

what i did was use the GSOS 6.0.1 install disk 1 (downloaded it from Apples FTP) and run it like that (for now) and so far i havent found anything i could not run that requires GSOS.

i made the disk using my Performa 475, after that i installed shrinkit and other tools of the like and it all works great, but you will be doing a bit of disk swapping though. but i have learned to not let it bother me.

see you can remove the GSOS disk wile GSOS is running until it asks you that it needs it, you can just run everything from the launcher either installed to the GSOS disk or another disk that you have in the drive at the time.

but you can make a minimalistic GSOS 6.0.1 install using the disks you will be buying ( if you decide to do it that way) and just install it to a blank disk/s

Can I make the disks using a Windows machine? That is the only machine I have that has a 3.5" drive on it (the IIGS withstanding). My best option may be buying it from the above site...

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Can I make the disks using a Windows machine? That is the only machine I have that has a 3.5" drive on it (the IIGS withstanding). My best option may be buying it from the above site...

Even though you buy the software (GSOS) you are still going to have to find a way to xfer data to disk for the IIgs to use (as in games or other software not provided with the GSOS disks).

The best thing for you to do is to buy the GSOS disks and some blank 3.5" disks and do it that way to have a bootable system.

buy a old Mac that has a built in superdrive (a 68k or PPC) and use it as a in between machine from your PC and your IIgs, or if the Mac is internet enabled you can just use the Mac to make disks for your IIgs to use.

Or you can use ADT Pro.

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
These are good suggestions. I do have 1 3.5" DD disk that I put some things on. I have two 5.25" drives I got when I bought the machine on eBay. I had been just running older ][e and //c software that I had from my //c days...

Also, is there a 15-pin to 9-pin video adapter? I didn't buy the monitor and I am using a composite cable running to a TV as my monitor. It would be nice to use a modern monitor or does that not work, either? I fear my wife is not going to go for me buying a IIgs monitor off of eBay.

I don't think my wife will go for me buying an old Mac, either... the best I could do is just buying the software and a couple of disks...

Thanks for all the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.