3.5" enclosure and a 2.5" drive..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HBOC, Dec 16, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

ok, I need an enclosure. Call me superficial, but i don't like the looks of the 2.5 enclosures that they have out there (macsales.com or newegg.com, etc).

I really like the Macally enclosure, but they are all 3.5" enclosures. Would a laptop HDD fit into a 3.5 enclosure? The only reason i would think that they wouldn't is the thickness, thus the 2.5 HDD wouldn't fit in there very well or at all?

I guess i could look on ebay or craigslist for non working external drives, such as a LaCie or iomega (going for the aluminum look..) and swap out the drives..

thanks for any help!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If it's a 2.5" SATA drive you want to use in a 3.5" SATA enclosure, you should be able to get by with a mounting bracket like this.

Otherwise the drive will fit, but you won't have any way to secure the drive inside the case. (Of course if you don't intend to move the external drive around much that might not be an issue.)

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

An icydock is an aluminum shell that converts a 2.5" drive to a 3.5" form factor for use in machines like Mac Pros. It adds some expense to the drive, but if you've got deep pockets to go with that discerning eye...

4. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the tips, guys.
    Darth, that is exactly what i will get. Thank you!!!