3.5" HDD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Habitus, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

I had a time capsule die recently, but the hard drive still works. Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase a 3.5" HDD enclosure? FW800 would be nice, too.

I presume ebay would be the option, but I want the opinions of MR users!

Thanks,

Habitus :apple:

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

This guide might be of help to you. There's loads of information on external hard drives and enclosures in there. This thread might also help you.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

The "would be nice" part makes it complicated.

If FW800 isn't crucial and would just be "nice," then you have a wide range of choices, from several manufacturers (USB2, FW400, sometimes even eSATA). An online retailer like Newegg will have many to offer. If you want something that matches your Mac visually (more or less) then OWC, or Macally.

You're going to find a lot in the $30-$50 range. Amazon.com always has a decent selection of Macally products.

If you really want FW800 then your choices are much more limited, and the price is going to be in the $90+ range unless you hit some kind of special.

I'm thinking about getting one of these:

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/TQM12H.html

because I regularly swap out drives, and the Oyen Digital's design appears to make that easy and quick.

I have three Macally 3.5" FW800 cases, and they function as expected. I'm sure that OWC's cases do also, but I've never used them.

Check the case specs carefully. It's easy to read too fast and miss that the case is for PATA, not SATA.

4. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to check OWC now.

Thanks again,

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont forget that if the PSU of the TC has died, its most likely 3 capacitors in there, which can easily be fixed by an electrician who can solder! cheap cheap cheap! ;) :D

6. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the insight. I've looked into this issue. However, I'm reluctant to fix a problem that's prone to fail, again.

What would you do? I mean, I'm fairly certain it's the capacitors (my TC doesn't fire up when plugged in and it's a 1st gen). Would you fix yours knowing that it's going to happen, again?

Thanks,

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh but i plan on it not happening again ;)

my plan is to get the thing working again, then leave the rubber bottom of the TC off. i will put a square layer of foam on the bottom to stop dust from getting in, and allow sufficient airflow out. i believe that this foam layer will cool it sufficiently so that it does not fail again. those capacitors were rated at 105°C! even the smallest changes can significantly drop the temperatures.

8. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

That's really interesting. I already destroyed the rubber bottom on my TC when I swapped the 500GB HD for a 1TB.

Are you planning on elevating it, too? I would think that lying flush with any surface would decrease ventilation regardless of the rubber bottom. Am I wrong?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Nope you're correct there, I was thinking elevating with rubber feet which are glued to each corner. That and the foam should give it more then enough cooling. If it doesn't then I was planning on cutting the metal bottom to allow for a small computer fan pointing directly at the psu.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

In the few dozen other threads on this topic I have added my recommendation for this Icy Dock FW800 enclosure so why not one more?

Unfortunately, the slightly lower priced white version I've got seems to be sold out. The black one is pretty too though. It's quiet, fast, runs cool, solidly designed and extremely easy to remove and replace drives using the tray system it employs. You just pull down the arm and slide out the drive.

If you want to go all out and get top of the line, for another $15 you can get their latest model which doesn't require trays and has the latest Oxford chipset.

11. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I saw a picture of a TC with a built in fan. Sounds like a good idea. I have a buddy who'll help me solder the caps. I think I may salvage the TC :)

Have you used this product. Seems like a great option!

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great!! :D let us know how it goes!

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I do indeed. I have the MB559UEB-1S-W which is identical to the one I linked to you above except the case is white instead of black. I would really recommend going the extra $15 and getting the new version (MB664) with latest Oxford Firewire 800 chipset and the non-tray loading system.

Icy Dock is good stuff. I haven't had any problems at all. The enclosure is solidly constructed. Some people complain about the brightness of the LED access lamp on the front of the case but it doesn't bother me and I think they changed that on the new model anyway.

14. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the insight, SaSaSushi!

Quick question: how popular are Macs in Japan? Are they gaining notoriety for their OS or do the aesthetics of Apple products appeal more to Japanese consumers?

Thanks!

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Sorry, Habitus, somehow I missed this post.

PCs still rule here in Japan, just as in the rest of the world but the Mac community is strong, devoted and growing. I haven't heard too many complaints about OS X. The iPhone is gaining marketshare here now, something many pundits thought would never be possible.

I am always able to resell Macs here for top dollar when it is time to get a new machine. Demand is always high.

Cheers.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

jealous, here in australia im fairly certain that people only like purchasing products brand spankin' from over-priced retail outlets :rolleyes: ;)

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It's mainly a Mac thing because for most everything else that's been the case here in Japan as well. Traditionally, used goods in Japan have very little value.

However, the current global recession is changing that mindset and there is a growing market for all types of used goods.

Macs have always maintained a high resale value though. :)

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

agreed, i guess that i havent found the right place to sell things perviously. my area is more "regional", so used goods normally attract lower prices but still sell fairly regularly.