3.5 mm audio in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zamboknee, Mar 21, 2015.

1. zamboknee macrumors regular

I have a 2015 MBP Retina 15". I need to (for my radio show) pull audio off of my TV once in a while. I have RCA's coming out of my satellite receiver that plug into a 'y ' cable that terminates to a 3.5mm plug. This worked for my old MBP (2009) but doesn't seem to work with the new one.
    I'm plugging into the mic/headphone jack here. Do I need a special plug/cord? Or do I have to use something like a Griffin iMic?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The 3.5 mm plug on this Macbook is an headphone output only (no audio in).

So yes, you need to use an external USB sound card.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The specs do list that the jack works with Apple headphones with remote and mic

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yeah, it can do that as audio in, but it is not a traditional audio in that the OP needs. I think it is mono only too. Luckily, getting audio in can be as cheap as $10 on amazon for a USB adapter. A full external sound card, for what I assume is better quality, is a bit more expensive. Or, you can just get a USB mic.

5. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

I THOUGHT it could do audio in. I only need mono anyway as I'm just pulling soundbites of spoken word (tv show audio, funny clips, etc.).

6. dyt1983, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

7. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about figuring out how to make the headphone jack work but just bought an iLuv USB Audio Adapter (similar to iMic but cheaper).

8. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

OT but slightly related, when screen recording with Quicktime in order to record system audio without Soundflower I connect an aux cable from the headphone port to the audio in port, now that the newer Macbook Pros no longer have both input/output, would a Griffin Imic USB connector work if I plugged it into the USB port and then attached the male to male aux cable into both input/output 3.5 mm ports on the Griffin?

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

10. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

Crud. I already bought the iLuv adapter.
    http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iCB758-Audio-Adapter-Headset-Mic/dp/B007PFZEKY%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-iphone-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB007PFZEKY

11. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

So I bought this Startech cable thinking if it worked I would just return the iLuv adapter.
    It's not working but I'm guessing it's because the plug that's going into the Startech is a 3 pin 3.5mm plug and not the 4 pin.
    Is that a safe assumption?

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's odd, because I'm using that same cable (the one I linked) on mine right now and the audio in and out are both working fine.

When it's plugged in, and you go into the Sound preference pane, is "external microphone" listed as the input, and "headphones" listed as the output?

13. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

No. Is the plug you're connecting the startech to a 3 pin (typical headphone) or 4 pin (headphone with mic)?

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Headphone with mic, 4 pin. The cable I linked IS a 4-pin to 3-pin splitter. Maybe you were sent the wrong one by mistake?

Attached Files:

15. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

You dont need a cable to do just audio in, the cable is only needed if you want to do Audio in & Out simultaneously. In the settings, there is an option to select how you want the Audio Jack to operate (Input or Output).

When I get home, I can add screenshots.

16. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

17. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

The iLuv adapter worked but the level was WAY too hot. Still would like to make the Startech adapter work. Probably gonna need a 4 pin coming OUT of my audio source before the Startech would work, am I right?

18. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

I found my Griffin iMic plugged it in, switched to 'line' and it seems to work just fine for why I need it.
    The funny thing is I bought this years ago for my Powerbook G4 so I can get audio in, then bought the Macbook Pro (2009) and didn't need it, now with the Macbook Pro Retina I need it again.
    Full circle I guess.
    Thanks to everyone who helped out!

19. dyt1983, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.