3 apps on 9.7 iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Per MacRumors iOS 12 page...
    But on my 9.7 iPad Pro I still get the same “non usable” behavior when doing this as I got on iOS 11....

2. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

I'm intrigued by this as well. I can use two apps no my iPad Pro but as soon as I add a third it grays out the two in the background.

Maybe I'm not doing this right?

Side rant: I'm PISSED that Spotify does not multitask on the iPad.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Can anyone with iPad 5/6 confirm if this works for you? Would seem odd to give to iPad 5/6 but not the pro 9.7....

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

5. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I have a 9.7 and this is what 3 apps at a time look like on mine. Music, Safari, and Messages. IMG_E24A9D7EDB2A-1.jpeg

6. says_stuff macrumors member

says_stuff

Ipad 12.9 first gen with 4gb ram, greys out as well when third app is active so i don’t know what is up.

On ios 11 beta (and consecutively i think 12 but i wasn’t a part of, so i can’t confirm) it wouldn’t though, so maybe this was written during beta times?

7. venom600 macrumors 6502a

It greys out on mine, but when you tap the other apps the top window slides off screen.... you can slide it back on screen with a simple swipe to the left though.

8. says_stuff macrumors member

says_stuff

Honestly not trying to flame, but i don’t get how this isn’t more of an issue with people, if this is not proof of planned obsolescence, i don’t know what is. A feature that works perfectly in beta software, ommited on certain(older or cheaper) hardware though proven capable of it.

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Quite honestly, most people I know who have an iPad use it in single app mode. Usually, people don't really care about this stuff unless it personally affects them.

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah I'm just confused that I can't seem to find anyone mentioning this ANYWHERE. When the (3 app) feature first came out and 1st gen Pro's were left out, there were lots of complaints. As I recall 12.9 Pro's were even temporarily included and then removed, to complaints. Then for iOS 12 there were numerous tech sites reporting how this feature was coming to all 2gb iPads.... And now the feature appears to be removed but I haven't been able to find a single article mentioning the removal or a single person complaining outside of myself creating this thread.....

I agree the typical user won't even realize this is a feature they are missing, and if they were to find out they probably wouldn't care... I, myself, would rarely ever use this, but the point is that I WOULD find value in this on rare occasions. AND it is very clearly possible and was included for a period of time. I just don't understand why Apple took it out.

11. venom600 macrumors 6502a

How is the 3 app mode you mention different than what I posted?

12. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

The background two apps are grayed out and inactive. Tapping them dismisses the slideover window. This is the same behavior as on iOS 11. All 3 apps are simultaneously active on 2nd gen Pro's (and can also have an active PiP active as well) which has been the case since iOS 11.

Note the quote from original post (copied from MacRumors article about iOS 12)...

13. says_stuff macrumors member

says_stuff

An ipad should be able to handle three apps simultaneously active,

cpu seems to be able to handle it, ram (on ipad pro at least, 4 gigs!) should be adequate, software (on beta nevertheless) was good to go, so why not? Why can’t i have a textbook, a notebook and a dictionary open at the same time? Who decides that limit and on what ground?

14. stevemiller macrumors 68000

stuff like this is why I love my ipp 9.7 for procreate and whatnot, but don't consider these things anywhere near a proper computer replacement. when the debate is over whether you can run 2 or 3 whole programs at the same time (as long as the program even "supports" it), I'll just keep plowing through my work on a macOS system without worrying over arbitrary restrictions that get improved by tiny increments each year.

15. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else find it interesting how difficult it is for iOS to run multiple apps with multiple gigs of RAM when just about everything else can do multitasking just fine with far less memory? It isn't even like it has to render interface elements like windows.

16. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

To be honest, I've had web browsers and apps frequently crash on me on PCs with 4GB RAM when I only had a fixed 1GB page file. I had to increase it to 4GB to stop low memory related crashes.

I actually find Apple to be quite skimpy on RAM. The iPad may not need to render some of the things that desktop OSes do but I reckon iPads have higher resolution than most mainstream laptops and monitors.

17. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I’m sorry I don’t follow you....

1) How is it hard to run multiple apps? The hardware (even on the 3 year old iPad Pro 12.9) is more than cable of running 3-4 apps...Now maybe you mean the software doesn’t enable it well because yes the iOS software is overly simplistic (and for many models overly restrictive, but I interpreted your meaning as the hardware is poor or the software is inefficient. The multitasking that iOS lets you do runs like a champ.... just Apple ties things down for ideological reasons and also requires apps to support the multitasking (which many don’t do). I agree these things are problems...

2) What current devices have far less memory than 2GB which are doing multitasking just fine?

18. venom600 macrumors 6502a

1. I worded that poorly. What I mean is that for such a powerful OS and hardware that is so powerful it doesn't seem like there should be an issue running 3 apps at once. i.e. it should be a given, so why are we talking about it in 2018?

2. I just mean that computers have been multitasking for decades with far less than 2GB of RAM just fine. The fact that an iPad with such a powerful processor and so much memory can't run 3 apps seems absurd.

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I actually have access to Windows 98 to XP machines with 512MB-1GB RAM. It's usually faster to whip out the smartphone to look something up on the internet than it is to use the web browser on the darned things. We tend to take performance for granted but compared to those, even an iPad Air on iOS 11 offers smoother user experience. Heck, iirc, even an iPad 3 with iOS 9 fared better.

20. says_stuff macrumors member

says_stuff

On a lighter note, I am thinking how fun it would be if they suddenly removed the ability for other stuff we take for granted like taking pictures in older ipads. Since we are removing things on arbitrary reasons, hey why not.

3..2..1 happy 2019! You now lost pip. Go get the all new ipad if you needed that.

21. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm not aware of any time Apple has taken features away... This multitasking was only in the betas. It's more that they are withholding the feature than taking it away