3 bad sticks of ram in a row.....?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cloud9, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

I tried to purchase a 8 gb upgrade kit from owc. The first set of 2x4 gb ram modules gave me kernal panics in every configuration. I sent them back and they sent me another one that was bad. I have a fourth coming in the morning tomorrow, and I am not confident that it will work either. The 4gb of stock apple ram function fine. I ran an extended apple hardware test and my systems supposedly functions normally.

I have a 17" unibody 2.93.

Is there someway it could be the logic board or the dimm slot that an apple hardware test might not find?

Thanks

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, is it performing good with the stock ram? If it is then the ram from OWC is bad.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Perhaps you should get from Crucial. If one brand doesn't work, there's no point in buying from the same company. Just a suggestion...

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Did you try running a memtest in single user mode?

It'll take a while for 8GB but it'd be worth it.

And yeah, 3-4 bad instances has to happen to someone.

I once had the soles fall off of three pairs of boots in a row. VP of customer relations at Garmont USA basically told me that I was a liar b/c no one else complains about it. Asshat. At least the guys at REI believed me and I know some of them strongly recommend against Garmont because of the treatment I got.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Three bad sets?

I bet all three sets came from the same manufacturers LOT.

Could be a bad production run, or just some RAM that don't play well with the MBP.

I'd go with CRUCIAL - might cost more, but you get what you pay for!

6. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Just as a hopeful (perhaps helpful) note: my purchase of 4GB from Crucial ended up being the lowest price I was able to find at the time, so you might actually get a really good deal and really good RAM :D

7. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

who is owc????

I just put the 4th stick of 4gb that they sent me in. I get 3 quick beeps and 3 longer beeps with no startup. WTF!

Is owc really that bad?

One of the sticks has a crucial sticker on it. Owc tech support told me they test every stick they send out. I did a apple hardware test and supposedly my computer is fine.

How do I do a ram test?

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe the computer has issues, not just the RAM/as opposed to the RAM. Time to get it checked out i'd say, with known working RAM.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

At this point, there's a good chance that there is something wrong with your computer and not the RAM you are getting.

You can test your RAM by downloading and installing memtest.

Then boot into single user mode and run the test.

But since you're having trouble booting, this is an issue. As was mentioned above, test with sticks you know to be good.