3 beeps after ugrading to 16GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviin55, Nov 5, 2015.

1. keviin55 macrumors newbie

I have an early macbook pro 2011. I upgraded my RAM to 16GB (two Corsair CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9 modules).

When I start the laptop I just hear 3 beep. What shall I do ?

Regards

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768

Three beeps is bad RAM. You might try removing and reseating the RAM chips, but if that does not do it, you probably got some defective RAM. Did it work okay with the old RAM?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As noted it means bad ram.

Even with that said, if you suddenly change something in a computer and it stops working, odds are that its what you altered. In this case adding the ram. Remove the ram and your computer will start back up.

Make sure the ram is seated properly, perhaps it was just not set in properly.

4. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

As others have said the ram could be bad but first try taking it out and putting it back in to make sure it is seated properly. If it still does not work you may have bad ram modules. If the memory is bad I would recommend going OWC for your memory. Never seems to give me any issues on anything I have put it in. It uses the same chips on the modules as stock apple ram.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

...and you can remove 1 module at a time, if you remove the defective one it will boot up with no chimes as an 8GB machine. If it chimes with either single module in then you likely have the wrong RAM for your machine (or have used a poor quality supplier, or have been REALLY unlucky).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just make sure you power the computer down an ground yourself before removing it ;)

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I would, he's been in there already ;-)

8. keviin55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer So I tried to push cmd+ option+ p+ r and I was able to start the laptop with 16 GB of RAM. But after 4 restart I had the same problem again. I checked the 2 ram one by one and one of them is working without any problem so now I am running with 10 Gb of RAM, is that ok ? I will return the defect one and buy a new one, is it ok if I buy a different one ( same characteristics but not Corsair ) ?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its ok by running only 10GB. I generally like to keep my memory the same, but it should be ok. Why not just get it replaced instead of returning and buying it elsewhere?

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Return the whole kit and get a new kit.

11. keviin55 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bot it online and I can just replace it, I have to return it, get my money back and buy a new one that's why I am thinking to buy a different one.

I can't return the first one because I had a coupon and I payed only 10$ for it. I will just use it and if it's dead I will buy a different one.

12. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

The RAM you bought seems to need 1.5 Volt. I have 16 GB of Kingston HyperX 1.35 Volt RAM in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro and that is working fine. It also even runs at 2133 MHz.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NTQ0GOM/